[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Is this Lotion Separation?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:17 am 

Well, I dun gone an jinxed mayself, didn't I folks?

Made a batch of lotion tonight wanting to play with my recipe a little bit. I'm wanting to incorporate an ingredient that is meant to be super fantastic for absorption and takes away that whitening effect when you're rubbing lotion in. Last batch I added it in on top of my recipe, and the 'cream' came out so thick it basically falls off your skin lol!

So I adjusted my recipe after reading that this ingredient also aids emolliency and thickness. Recipe looked good, but just in case it was too thick or too thin, I scented with a fragrance oil I like so if I ended up with the entire batch, I could handle the smell lol.

Fragrance was Coco Mango from NG used at 1% total recipe.

Milk/Water as well as oils were both heated and held at 70 degrees for 20 minutes.
All mixed in together. Mixed for 3 mins on lowest setting on mixer, rest for 10. Mix for 3, rest for 10. Mix for 1 - test temp (45 deg) - add cooldown items which were preservative, Vitamin E, FO - Mix for 5 mins. Bottle.

Result?

Not sure how well you can see it, but there appears to be 3 layers in my bottles. The bottom layer is white. Then it goes into a yellowy colour. Then at the top is a small almost clear like orange colour liquid.

Close up:

Without Flash:

I'll let it sit overnight and get a photo in the daylight in the morning... but, does this look like separation? Is it a "bow booow" failure? :cry:

And if it is - ideas on why? Could it be a case of the FO? Or my recipe tweaking? The only difference between this recipe and the one I normally use is the adjustment of eWax to accommodate the the Olive-Wax and a slight lowering to make it less cream like. In total there is 4.4% Emulsifier in my recipe which is within the 2 - 5% range recommended by my supplier on both eWax and Olive-Wax)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:01 am 

Yes, that's separation. It could be that you lowered the e-wax and/or the olive wax doesn't play nicely with the e-wax. I don't think there is a way to fix it now, since if you heat it beack up, you will negate the preservative and if you add more preservative, it could make the lotion irritating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:48 pm 

Looks like a failed batch to me.
Making creams without polymer can be quite difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:39 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:58 pm 

*sends good juju* your next try will be a success! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 pm 

Good luck on your next batch.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:30 pm 

Thanks ladies!!

Going to go back to the original recipe today, just to get my confidence back. Then will try incorporating the Olive-Wax again in a better ratio either later today (time depending) or tomorrow... Fingers Crossed!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:44 pm 

Are these your first experiments with the olive-wax? I've considered trying it out. That and the new veggie-emulsifying wax from MMS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:52 pm 

Yeah, so far I've done two batches with it. The first one I included it on top of my recipe, and it made everything so thick, that not only can you barely squeeze it out of the bottle, it actually FALLS OFF your hand lol!!! Like a little cream turd, it just falls off. :lol:

So then I adjusted the levels to make the eWax NF and the Olive-Wax equal players, and got the separation. But I also think I dropped them down TOO far and did wonder that when I was tweaking.

So, while still working with both, I'm going to up the amount to equal that of the tried and true recipe (so instead of like 50g eWax PLUS Olive-Wax, I will make it a combined 50g total)... see how that works.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:04 pm 

Hopefully the next trial batch will turn out perfect! Olive-wax really sounds like it should be fantastic in a lotion! *crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:06 pm 

Yeah that's why I want to keep trying to get it to incorporate. My GF is like "noooo, you had it perfect!!! Leave it alone".... but there is no such thing as perfect! It can always be perfect-er!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:37 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:08 pm 

Normally I would agree whole heartedly... but when you're eating pancake mix for dinner because the last of your funds has gone on more soap ingredients (or in this case lotion bottles) and you then have to bin 12 of those bottles... it stings just a tad! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 am 

True :( I'd say come to my place for dinner, but plane tickets are super expensive.