[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - New Anne-Marie's blog posting - for those of you in Cali

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 am 

http://www.soapqueen.com/personal-rambl ... riod-open/
I wonder which "chemicals" they are talking about. The original article is being very vague.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 am 

According to this article there is no list...yet.
http://supply-chain-data-mgmt.blogspot. ... -list.html
I think it is all "in the works" at this point. Going to keep looking though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am 

After doing some more digging, I have found this article that says, "Importantly, the regulation will establish a list of approximately 1200 Chemicals of Concern (COC). The list is not currently available but will be published within 30 days of enactment of the regulation." It also says, "The number of chemicals on the CA list is generally consistent with the number of chemicals on lists from other states and other countries or regions."
You can read the full article here. http://berkeleyanalytical.com/blog/prod ... f-concern/
I dug around some and found a list from the Minnesota Dept of Health. You can access that list here http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/h ... .html#list
California's list will likely be similar. You can download the list in .pdf, excel, or text.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm 

Looks like we better stop driving then. I see petroleum and ethanol. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm 

My guess is that California is gonna be a stinky place because sodium hydroxide was on the list too. :shock: Can't have soap without lye!
But seriously, I read that they are not "banning" all the chemicals; however, it is sure going to put a hurting on the small business person because they can't do the "research" needed to be able to have their products sold in Cali. Not sure if ALL businesses have to prove it or if it will be once one of the big guys show it then all can fall under that umbrella....I guess we're gonna see though, huh?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:07 pm 

I guess we'll see. Part of the problem is that the big companies are beginning to take notice of us soapmakers and they don't want business taken away from them. I realize it's probably just a drop in the bucket as far as business is concerned, but we are a thorn in their side. Have you ever seen the commercial that puts handmade soap down because it creates "scum" on your skin and their synthetic bar doesn't?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 pm 

I have seen that commercial. And really anything will leave scum on your tub if you don't clean it, right? LOL I agree with you about us being a thorn in their side and the small biz competition. It stinks really.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:32 am 

/puts on tin foil hat and gets on soap box

Big business is getting scared of the little guys again. Its happening in the farming industry, the chicken industry and now soap and cosmetics. This whole push by Americans to "get back to basics", be self sufficient, and to KNOW what we are putting on our bodies and in our mouths comes from a concern about the volume of imports from China and the crappy quality of those products. How many times have we heard just in the last year of arsenic or lead in things like dog treats or toothpaste and other items. Big business gets scared, pushes for legislation that small businesses cannot afford to comply with and small businesses leave the market place. The number of people that are being prosecuted for raising a couple of chickens in their back yards and for growing gardens is scary at best. So with soapmaking being the next place in which people are having an impact on big business, you can expect a big fight will be coming. However, unlike farming, I am unaware of any lobbying group that would support small businesses in fighting legislation that would impact the home crafter.

/takes off tin foil hat and gets off soapbox

P.S. I have less soap scum since switching to my handmade soap...which company is that commercial from, I have not seen it yet.

Dawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 am 

The commercial is for Dove.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 am 

It's a scary thought that legislators might not think this through and see it for what it is. Hopefully, this won't turn into a nationwide trend.

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 am 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 am 

I'd like to know who and how the list is compiled. It could be a good thing, if done properly. It would have been nice, for instance, for states to ban BPA a lot earlier (and it's still in can linings!).

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries