[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Lip Balm Question

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lip Balm Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:33 am 

Is it safe to use just pure Shea Butter around my son's mouth? He can't/won't use regular lip balms because he swears they all burn or sting (even plain chapstick). Major meltdowns, he has Asperger's and so he has sensory issues.

I tried just the pure Shea (that I use in my soap) with nothing else this weekend and it healed it really well with just a few applications. Best of all he likes it! I had him help me melt it down and put it in a special tin that he decorated and told him that we were making a special potion just for his lips. No fighting to get him to put it on a few times because he made it and it didn't sting him. Can he have this around his mouth and lick it if we start using it regularly? I know it's obviosly skin safe, but I don't know how safe it will be for him to lick it often like that.

Post subject: Re: Lip Balm Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:43 am 

If he's not allergic to shea or allergic to latex, it should be okay. I use shea butter in my lip balms & lip scrubs and I've used it on my kids a couple times when they've had really bad chapped lips.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 am 

Think of how much lipstick a person will "eat" over their lifetime; something like 7 lbs. I think your son will be fine with just shea butter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 am 

Thanks Genny and Soapbuddy. I thought it would be okay to use but I wanted to be sure before letting him use it all the time. We get really cold winters here and he gets permanent chapped lips til March. Just wanted to be safe...He and his brother are my cutest little test monkeys for this new hobby/obsession :wink: