[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - lotion

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: lotion
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:29 pm 

This weekend I made my first batch of lotion and it really turned out nice! I was so happy with it I have been getting everyone to try it. So far they've all said the lotion is a great consistency, smell, and the absorbancy was just right! YAY ME!
Then this afternoon one of my co-workers told me she wanted to buy my lotion for $10....WHAT?? This is a little tottle of lotion. I was amazed, flattered, and a little worried. I told her no because it was my first batch and I wanted to see how it behaved so I could give it away at Christmas.
I have been really torn about the whole selling thing. Even giving my stuff away makes me nervous. I don't have insurance. I can't afford the insurance. I know so many people have been out there selling their stuff without it, too. Am I being overly cautious and losing out on a possible side business for myself? What would you do (or have done)?
Here is my little baby bottle. I made 4 of them yesterday. I scented it with lemongrass sage. SOOOO yummy smelling!

Post subject: Re: lotion
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm 

Congrats on your formula. I would seriously consider getting your paperwork including insurance ready before you sell anything. I would also get your lotion tested. Cindy from the The Sage Script Institute offers testing at a reasonable charge.
You need to know if the emulsion is truly stable, how well the lotion would withstand heat, cold or dirty and damp fingers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:55 pm 

Take it from me ,you will feel so much prouder so much more confident when you get insurance,not having insurance held me back from acting on all those compliments,now that I Ihave my insurance i now aggressively go after customers. To me it meant taking my buisiness seriously and really desiring to build it . I want to share what I make because I know how wonderful it makes me feel and my family as well,but at the same time you want to protect yourself as well. I got my insurance through RLI, it is 220.00 a year ,I put it on a charge card and have made that up and then some. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 pm 

Thanks for y'alls input. I know you're right. I hate that I just can't afford that insurance right now. I will have to just wait and save up for it. And in the mean time I can get my name figured out and do the paperwork as much as possible, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 pm 

If you're super worried about the people you give your products to now, ask them to sign a waver. This way you can have folks try your stuff out while feeling legally safe. Just let folks know you are working on starting a business and for now you'd like them to sign a waver because insurance is quite expensive. Most folks will understand this and be glad to sign. Or at least I hope they would!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:05 pm 

They do, many places use waivers rather than purchasing extra insurance. Like hot sauce vendors. Cover everything from burns to heart attacks and death. I've had to sign so many of those when buying hot sauce for family members.... and I don't even like spicy stuff! :lol:

I suppose you could talk to the local police, or a lawyer to see if waivers will hold up in your area though!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:53 pm 

I just asked DH who runs a local street fair. Many of his vendors sell B&B products (340 sellers) and also pre-made food. In all his 25+ years that he has been in this business, he has never had anyone that would be willing to sign a waiver. He makes sure that they all have liability insurance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:09 pm 

I meant the waiver just for friends and family, not for selling. For selling I always recommend insurance! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 am 

After a night's rest I am feeling a little less overwhelmed but still somewhat apprehensive. But so far everyone that has tried my lotion loves it and wants me to sell it. I am so not confident in myself and I suppose that keeps me back. I hate that! Anyway, I thank you all for your time and answers. It's been very helpful.