[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Lotion Bars......again

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lotion Bars......again
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:28 am 

I have made a lotion bar recipe that I seem to like. It includes butters, lanolin, beeswax and a small amount of oil.

A friend in a quilting group brought a lotion bar, actually it was a round bar in a tin, that was marketed to quilters at a price of $10 for 4 oz. I noticed the ingredients were all oils. Olive, coconut, sweet almond and beeswax. I don't remember any butters but there may have been some. This bar was a lot slicker. Maybe it was actually oily, but it felt good. It seems like it must have had quite a bit of beeswax to solidify like it did. This quilter asked me if I could make a lotion bar without lanolin due to peoples allergies. I make sure to label my stuff so people with allergies know what is in it. I don't cater to off type skin types. Anyway. Finally I have figured out how to make a soap recipe but I am not sure how to make a lotion bar recipe. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:37 am 

Yes you can make a lotion bar with lanolin. I have never used lanolin in my life (although I have been considering trying it since I received a recipe from someone). I will pm you a simple recipe if you want, then you can adjust it to your liking.

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:43 am 

I know that anything less than 76 degrees (if that's the kind you use) will keep the coconut oil solid. So it may not have as much beeswax as you'd think. The coconut oil will melt when it comes in contact with the skin. I hope that helps a little.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:57 am 

hairdo has a point, you dont have to have beeswax in your recipe either, but if you are just using coconut oil to make it solid I would use the higher temp. version, as a 76 degree melting pint just isn't that much. I have a recipe that has 8parts hard w/ 6parts liquid and it still presents hard enough for a bar. In fact, it is one of my best selling products :P Experiment a bit and I think you will be surprised at how easy you can whip one up!

Edited to add; my recipe does not include any beeswax or lanolin!

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:59 am 

I would be suprised if the quilters objected to the beeswax as they use it on their threads.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:18 am 

I like some beeswax sometimes, it's just a preference on how it works in your recipe. So experiment away! Just don't do what I did the first time I experimentd! I had so much beeswax you couldn't break that bar if you tried! :lol:

Tammy