[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - luxury oils question

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: luxury oils question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 pm 
Hogan Hero is very funny as is Gilligan. I looked up M.A.S.H and will try to find some DVD's. I am finding a lot of old American TV is very good and something I enjoy.

Amoursoap: I don't necessarily "hang out" in here. I like to share my results with others so they don't have to try the same soap experiments. Yes, occasionally I send supplies to those who are in more need than myself. Maybe I just get a warm fuzzy from assisting others. I have no ulterior motives and no calculating intentions. Why would you give a starving kitten on the street a piece of tuna? Because she needs it. Nothing more, nothing less, no expectations for a favor in return. You're complicating this. Is it hard to believe that what I do isn't self serving? I want nothing in return. Although not having to answer a bunch of questions is a thought......

Now to open your bucket: First make sure you take off the security ring around the rim of the bucket. Grab one end and pull. If it's difficult to pull then use a pair of pliers. Next, put your knee in the middle of the bucket and apply your full body weight then pull up around the edges of the lid with your hands. If it's too difficult, heat the rim of the lid with a hairdryer first.

Now go get dirty so you can use some of your new soap.....after it's cured of course.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:54 pm 

SS; yes, Gilligan was funny too. I remember watching him when it was on prime time once a week. Even though that dates me, it was cute and funny. You will probably like Mash too. It is on some of the cable networks so you should be able to find it. It is set during the Korean war, and is so very funny! Oh, and don't forget about I love Lucy :lol:

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 pm 
I looked up and was reading about MASH. It states that the setting is during the Korean war but the attitude and character philosophy better represents the Vietnam war. I like Alan Alda as an actor and read that he is the primary actor.

How do we get so far from discussing soap on these threads? It is my fault? The title of this thread is Luxury Oils and we're now discussing old American sitcoms about the Korean war. The disparity between the original title line, and the discussion by the time we're at the end of a page, is entertaining.

I would think that if the moderators and site owners didn't want us having a good time here, they would ask us to stop. But since they rely mostly on the members to do self policing, it shows the level of respect and trust they have with their members. I find that commendable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:24 pm 

A little soap talk, a little laugh. No worries! The questions seem to get addressed and even answered, so it's all is good!
As for Mash, yes most people thought it was supposed to be Vietnam, but that war was such a hot button in America that they said it was the Korean War. No matter, it was a very funny show with many poignant moments too. I don't think you will be disappointed by it.

Tammy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:43 pm 
A certain friend of mine mentioned that I need to read some of the other threads on this forum, as opposed to just posting a question and then popping back into the forum a few hours or days later, and reading the answers to my question.

Soooooo . . . I'm going to try to find the time to do that occasionally although I can't promise anything. There just aren't enough hours in the day. I work full time andin addition to working all day, I live alone so I'm also responsible for caring for my lawn and garden and two pets. I'm also working on a book, but haven't been able to find the time to write much lately. And I love cooking so I'm always experimenting with something in the kitchen.

And then there's this new soapmaking hobby. I needed another hobby like I need a hole in the head. But this hobby is giving me a little extra money which I need desperately.

So I picked this thread and started reading and discovered that you all are talking about something I've wanted to make for a long time - a lotion bar! I have a honeycomb shaped lotion bar that smells like honey and I love it. I received it as a gift and everytime I use it, I wonder how it's made.

Pretty please, SuperSoaper, will you share your recipe with me as well?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:17 pm 
Midnightstorm I would walk it to your place if you requested. It's on the way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 am 

Hi, I would love the recipe too :lol: I don't think I've "talked" to you before, so if you don't want to send it I understand lol.
I hang out in the M&P section, I think this is one of the first times I've come over to Cold Process section (I just wanted to see what goes on over here! ), I had to click on Luxury oils because it sounded nice lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:03 am 
Aren't you a sweetheart, SuperSoaper? What would we do without you??? I think it is so cool that you are a big, strong manly, man and yet you are comfortable enough in your manhood that you buck the stereotypes (and your father) and make soap with the rest of us. I have heard of several ex-football players who grow roses as a hobby. And there are other men on this forum as well. More power to you all! After all, I used to have a dirt bike and I rode with the men. I would have hated it if I hadn't been able to learn that 'manly, man' hobby just because I was a woman. It was a blast!

Anyway, below is the product I have that I like. It was a gift to me from someone who bought it at the Hospice gift shop up the road from where I work. I have read the ingredients on the back but I had no idea of the proportions needed to make the bar. I love the little bee & hive shape that mine came in and it has the faintest smell of honey, which I adore.

This was my first experience with with a lotion bar. You just rub the bar on your hands as if it were a bar of soap that you are trying to lather. Then you put the bar down and continue rubbing your hands together to finish rubbing in the lotion. It is heavier than regular lotion so you won't want to touch your computer screen or your eye glasses for a couple minutes, but after that, it is absorbed into the skin. It's especially good for those of us who aren't spring chickens anymore, since our skin usually needs a heavier moisture replacement than you young 'uns.

Honey House Naturals:

Thanks for sending the recipe.

Linda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:38 am 
ShinyCat recipe is on the way.

Midnightstorm you just kill me. You and my sister both kill me. I have 4 sisters and they don't have names. They are Sister 1, Sister 2, Sister 3 and Sister 4. So the children of Sister 3, for example are called "2 of 3" (the second child of sister 3). The grandchild of sister 1 is, "1 of 3 of 1". This means the grandchild of my 1st sisters, 3rd child. With me so far? Good.

My sisters are all at least 9 years older than me. Yes, I was a mistake. But when asked, my mother just says I was a blessing after 4 girls. Why is this relevant? I'm glad you asked.

Since my sisters are all much older than me, they took care of me in my youth. And they did a wonderful job. Now I am trying to return the favor. Sister 2 has terrible problems with the skin on her hands. The last time she came to visit me about 2 years ago (she comes from Naples, Italy), she found the exact same item you have posted in your thread. It was at a small shop at the Philly airport while she was waiting for her connection. She raved about this stuff forever. When she ran out, I had to reorder and ship it to her in Naples. I bend over backwards to make them happy and give them everything they want....because they did the same to me when I was a child. Payback.

Then I had an epiphany. :shock: I can probably make this stuff. Well, I did. I analyzed this stuff over and over and over until I had everything down but the fragrance. And I even got that pretty close. I did change 1 ingredient that they don't use because the chemical composition in mine makes it better than theirs. Seriously, it's the exact same brand name and design. She's since been using mine for the past year....until she finds something else she wants me to try making for her. You haven't been secretly conversing with her have you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:49 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:07 am 
LOL! No, SuperSoaper, I haven't been conversing with your sister but I think I like her already. And that's kind of bizarre that she liked the very same product that I'm talking about. Weird. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:09 am 
It's on the way Mella.

Congrats on GB winning last night. Your boy did very, very well. I was afraid they were going to lose the lead in the 2nd half. But he made us proud.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:17 am 

Oh my superman, supersoaper, you are so sweet! I will add to my previous statement and say that your Sisters also raised you right! And the way you identify them (1 of 4 etc.) is the way our Amish friends identify their large families, so we have become accustom to doing it as well. Of course, theirs are more like 1 of 14 :lol:

Anywho, all this talk about your great recipe begs the question, may I also see it? I wasn't planning on asking because I have my own recipe, but now I am curious about the Super recipe, that Superman Supersoaper came up with, that his sweet Sister gets all the way in Italy, because she found a similar one on a visit to her younger brother, and fell in love with it. What a nice brother you are! If you are tired of passing it out at this point, no worries!

Either way, I agree w/ Midnight, it's great that you and the other men in here are pursuing a hobby/business that has been typically, predominantly women. I was a "tom boy" so I really believe in doing what you enjoy, no matter what the rest of the family or world says. When I was in nursing school we had 2 men in our class, and an older Prof. that kept referring to them as "male nursing students". One day one of the men stood up and said, "I am a Nursing student, I will be a Nurse, you are not identified as a Female Nurse, so don't call me a male nurse." Later He said that he had had enough of his family razzing him about going into a female profession, he didn't intend to have to take it in school. If you enjoy what you do, it is for you. Simple as that! But even greater that you men are here in this forum, sharing with others.

Tammy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:33 am 

Well this thread has given me a bad case of the "warm fuzzies" and I think I'm about to gag. They go against my nature. :roll:

That being said, SuperSoaper, may I have you recipe as well? Pretty please with a brownie on top?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 am 
The way I figure it Lavender is this: I'm a guy. I know I'm a guy. My wife knows I'm a guy. My friends and family know I'm a guy. Anybody that looks at me knows I'm a guy. So.....in short, I don't think there's any question about my gender. Women like me because I'm a gentleman and always courteous. Guys like me because I'm a "mans, man". Does the opinion of a person who thinks I'm engaging in a female hobby bother me? Not in the least. I could wear a dress in public and people would look, but doubt anybody would say a word. Size matters sometimes.

And in your post you asked if you can see "it". By "it" I'm guessing you mean the recipe.....correct?

It's not my father but my grandfather who just shakes his head when someone mentions me making soap. He acts like I'm wearing a dress in public or something. He's in a wheelchair now but I still carry him around the vineyard when I go back to visit (about 3 times a year). I love that old man.

The recipe is on the way. Hope you enjoy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next