[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - TEACH SOAP CHILDREN

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TEACH SOAP CHILDREN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:41 am 

Hello everyone, I commented that I would like to teach glycerin soaps for children 8 to 12 years, I wanted to ask you who you have experience in teaching, how you doing?, Eg glycerine as much need for each child?, thought of teaching to make some basic soaps, and then over time to give special classes on themes (Christmas day S. Valentin, etc.).
I appreciate your help

Post subject: Re: TEACH SOAP CHILDREN
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 am 

i teach small classes to home schoolers, girl scouts ect. and what i do is great and simple.. i get regular natural white or clear base, and i have these plastic liquid measuring cups (liquid pyrex type but plastic) and give each kid one about half full. they get to pour it into molds they pick, choose colors and i give them a choice of 5 scents.. have found if you provide more scents you are there for HOURS... for each lesson the kids get to make a lip balm, and soap, and usually the half cup makes about 4-5 molds depending on the size... so if you want to pair them up to make molds together and split the soaps you can do that 2.. depends on the size of class i teach... but i usually charge 10 dollars per kid, parents seem comfy with that price, and kids get prizes to take home... hope this helps!

Danielle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:05 am 

Danielle, thanks for your answer. My idea is to do something similar to what you're saying, and have given me some idea, so thanks again.
I wanted to ask how much does the class you give? 1 hour, or more? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am 

usually an hour and a half, i dont rush i just love doing it to teach the next generation... if we dont who will?

Danielle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:32 pm 

Hi Ana Maria!
I made a video on how to throw a soap making party, and it addresses how to make it work for children. I think you might find it helpful!

- [i]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:52 am 

Hi I run a holiday programme for kids from aged 5 to 14 and use melt and pour soap as one of the round robin activities. A couple of pointers you may or may not have thought of - I use plastic jugs because pyrex can get very hot and kids love to embed small objects in their soaps and so we spend some time discussing what is safe to embed. e.g. your mother probably won't appreciate finding her diamond ring that you "borrowed" from the bathroom, with the best of intentions, in the soap you plan to give her next Christmas. This by the way was in late January. Fortunately she hadn't missed it when I rang her to tell her and Yes she did appreciaye the thought. Sharp things. metal things flowers and vegetation don't work well and little things that might block the drains don't either etc etc. I also let them do everything themselves while hovering nearby with some of the younger ones and also they design and make their own packaging while waiting for their soap to be ready to come out of the moulds. One of the thinks I love to watch is the expression of wonder, delight and pride on their faces when they remove their very first soap from the moulds. All the best and most of all have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:22 pm 

:D Katiebug, thanks again for your response, I too had thought of an hour or hour and a half, I think it's OK this time.

Soapylove, as always helping others, thanks for the video, I see how important these classes are fun and have a good time.

Greensock I love how you described these classes, I think the best thing of all is the reward of seeing the faces of surprise and happiness that they have done something with their hands.

Thanks to all for your responses. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:17 am 

Thanks for the link to the video. It was helpful especially the tip about using a crockpot. How long does the soap take to melt in the crockpot? Does it get hot enough to scorch? I too will be teaching soapmaking to the kids at my daughter's kindergarten class and I'm trying to plan my time.
Thanks!
Peggy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:57 pm 

Hi Peggy!
The soap takes around 20 minutes to melt. It helps to cube it before putting in the pot. You'll want it on "high" until it's mostly melted and then turn to "low" or "warm" to keep it melted but not too hot. They're really great for parties!

- [i]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:04 pm 

Thanks! I'm really excited to teach this to the kids; they always love making soap.
Peggy