[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Organizing soap stock

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Organizing soap stock
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:30 am 

Maybe it's because I have so many different choices and sizes, but I'm always in a dilemma about the best way to "file" my soaps. At first, I did it according to the batch or color. I use plastic shoe boxes to store them. Then when everyone (wholesale) were specifying a particular size range, and with my system at the time, I didn't really know what I had in what size... I switched to storing them with like sizes.

Now I read that we should keep similar fragrances together so they don't affect each other's smell.

I'm just curious as to how most of you organize your soap stock so you easily know where you are and what you have on hand?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:22 am 

I'm working on my range right now but they'll all be the same shape and size - but they'll all be kept together filed by fragrance, I need to get me some lidded plastic boxed to organise it all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 am 

The dollar stores seem to have the best prices on plastic boxes. I think I paid $1 each for mine there, whereas Walmart was higher. Their brands might be better but these are a good size, and working just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:38 am 

Would love to shop there but they don't exist in Ireland! I'm thinking of going to IKEA to get them, I think they're the least expensive place (and I've not been to the new store so I fancy a look around anyway).

I do need to get a new cupboard to store everything in - I have large plastic boxes but it's getting so unorganised and I need to be able to sort things out better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:51 am 

These shoe boxes fit in a book case that I have. I'm sure any kind of shelving unit would work. However, my individual batches are probably smaller than yours.

One of the local ladies that do CP soap brings a HUGE supply to craft shows. She has them in the large plastic, rectangular tubs which is great for both storage and transport.

With all of the talk here about CP, I'm becoming interested in giving it a try. Isn't it a lot cheaper to make than MP?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:13 am 

I GOT LUCKY MY HUSBAND WORKS AT RUBBERMAID LOL we get free plastic boxes all the time with lids... buckets 2 , my best friend in shampoo LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:15 am 

I was wondering the very same thing actually - I'm getting a distance learning course about making CP soap for Christmas so I'll give it a go then. I'm thinking M&P might be cheaper as the bases could be cheaper to buy? I'm not sure... I suppose it depends what oils you use to make you CP soap really, some being way more expensive than others. I'm sure you can get olive oil in supermarkets etc, which could turn out very cheap.

Katiebug - you are lucky!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:20 am 

i have actually found some of my bars are cheaper and some are the same price depending on the oil you get.. soybean is the cheapest and makes a neat bar, followed by coconut oil ascheap ones for me go... olive oil is the expensive one, then you have evening primrose, jojoba, and others i cant think of at the moment as the more expesive ones... then shea butter is also another kinda pricey bar to make from scratch.. so it really depends on what you choose as your base...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:26 am 

Or you could use most of your base as a less expensive oil (nearly said cheaper but that can give the wrong connotations) and add some luxury oils in smaller percentages - so you get the cost saving of a less expensive oil but the good promotion of having some luxury oils in smaller portions, therefore costing you less.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:08 pm 

Since I have a large inventory, my soaps are in alphabetical order in boxes that are next to each other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 am 

Katiebug - you are one lucky woman! :lol:

I bought clear shoe boxes from The Container Store..you can get them in bulk which comes out cheaper and they're very sturdy with the lids -
it's what i use to store alot of my soap supplies in

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:15 am 

hey is anyone lives in ohio i will be glad to help out and take yall to the employee store one week... fill a bag of containers for a buck a bag... lol we just got 2 huge boxes of containers i am like what the heck am i going to do with all these (2 small for soap) anyways lol let me know if anyone wants to go!

Danielle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:56 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:59 am 

Me too but the cost of the flight over would be a little excessive :lol:

You're very good to offer though!