[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - How to pour my mold successfully?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:38 am 

Hi. I've just done this cool ribbon candy like mold using "Holiday Candy" Fragrance. Here are two photos. So for any/all you experts. How do I go about filling this mold up? I'm afraid that the liquid won't fill in some of the areas? Should I put in one layer and pour a bit? Then a few more ribbons and pour? OR Should I just leave it as is and cover the entire thing with clear base? I'm feeling good about this but 'fear' there could end up with air pockets. Oh yeah, and how about the alcohol do I do some spritinzing as well to 'assist'?

Still working with colors as I wish this was a bit more 'brighter' but I'm still thinking if I get the pour right it will have 'wow/cool' factor.

Thanks
Hilary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 am 

Hi Hilary!

First of all, that soap is amazing! I love those awesome ribbons!

To prevent bubbles getting trapped, which looks tricky with those loops, I would pour some clear soap in, spray the ribbons with alcohol and try to put them in at an angle so the air can escape, then rotate them into position.

I've never tried it myself so I'm just guessing, though!

Good luck and please post your finished pics in Flaunt Your Stuff!

- [i]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:03 am 

My suggestion would be:

Spray your ribbons first and replace
Make sure your soap is at a temp not to melt the ribbons
Pour your "covering" soap (your clear soap) very very very slowly
I would give the mould a bit of a tap once in a while so that you can release any air bubbles (as it's see through, you should be able to catch most of them)

I would say if you do it really slowly then the soap will flood the ribbons and mould rather than be just a pour over.

Hope I explained this alright - my word power is not good today for some reason!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 pm 

That is an amazing looking soap. If I wanted to make that same soap without bubbles on the first try I would stand all the ribbons up in a cake pan or container that was big and deep enough to hold most of the ribbons standing on end, side by side. Then I'd mist liberally with alcohol so that the alcohol runs down all side of the ribbons (as they stand in the pan). Then pour clear soap over all of the ribbons til covered. Let cool, unmold and cut each ribbon out in its own rectangle of soap.

Then when it comes to your final pour into your loaf mold you will have say 3 bars of ribbon, each already encased in clear soap and only straight edges to help you avoid bubbles. Then just mist all sides of the bars as you lay them in the mold and fill in the gaps with the rest of your clear soap base.

Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:32 pm 

Oh! So are you saying that she should stand the ribbons on end in a vertical mold, like a carton for example? If so, that's so smart! No bubbles would happen at all that way!!

- [i]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm 

Phew - Guess what - I havn't done anything yet!!

PJ - Thanks for saying it's amazing even before the final result!!

I will ponder what has been written by everyone but I have to say I'm a little 'unclear' -PJ - Can you send me a link to a mold with the depth you are suggesting? I could I 'guess' cut the ribbons down to the height of my 8x8x2 having them stand up as you suggest. Then would I just try and cut that and fit it back into the loaf mold and as you say then pour over what space is left?

I just happened to look over and realize I do have a round log mold in which I could stand it up as you describe. At this point I guess I could just cut the loafs so they are circular instead. Although I kind of like the loaf mold for this.

Any additional thoughts before I do the final pour tomorrow. I have to do it- because I leave on vacation on Saturday.

Thanks. I just absolutely *love* this forum. Everyone is so helpful and *CLEVER*
Hilary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:46 am 

I had a think about it last night when I went to bed and I agree, putting them in a vertical mould would be the easiest thing. Are there vertical loaf moulds (if so, where are they cos I want one!)? I like the idea of encasing each ribbon in it's own bar of soap and then encasing/embedding each of those bars in the loaf mould too but, if you're going to sell this, then that'd be rather labour intensive and so drive your costs up. The round column mould would work as well, but I prefer the loaf mould shape myself as it contrasts with the wavy ribbon shapes.

I still think that a very slow steady pour would work though .. I'd try it on a smaller scale to see first before committing myself to a whole loaf! Best of luck, dying to see how it works out - please post pics pre holidays as we'll be waiting to see (selfish aren't I?! :P )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 am 

Okay so I too have been looking, inspecting and thinking...and I decided to pop over to soapqueen tv and unbelievable new episode (and the last for a bit) - with almost a hybrid of what has been proposed.

http://vimeo.com/6054750

I tried to find a veritical box loaf mold and for now on first review I could not find anything. Since I don't have alot of time today I'm going for the pour in the round mold and just be done with that since there's not much more I have to do.

What I will do when I get back from vacation is make more ribbon soap turn it up like suggested by PJ and cutting it into smaller sections so it's just below the top of the pan (2" in height) and place it in my 8x8 brownie silicone pan. And pour to the top. Then I'll cut it out in strips and turn it (like what you see in the video but Ane Marie uses just horizontal lines) so it wil fit into the loaf mold and repour. I think it will work and at that point I'll have more time/patience to attend to it than I do today.

When it's all done - I'll be sure to post the outcome !! :D
Thanks
Hilary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 am 

Can't wait to see it! Have a great holiday!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:35 pm 

Okay - I did the pour today in the cylinder mold and I have to say from the way it looks - I'm going to have a tough time waiting (like you) for 2 weeks before I cut it now. I will pop it out before we leave tomorrow and just wrap it up in saranwrap. I'm sorry to do this to you (and myself) but I can't afford to get off track in the morning. We have an 8 hour drive. I *promise* to post in flaunt your stuff when I do make that cut!!

I *so* appreciate all your input. My only thought about this is that while you can totally see the ribbons (and now that I have a thermometer I did not pour before it's time/temp - nothing melted - ooohhh perhaps that's a sign I'm getting more experienced :lol: ) My vegetable base is from SFIC. and while it looks clear it's not 100% crystal clear. I know they sell a crystal clear base but it sweats more - maybe I'll have to look into that.

Bonne Nuit - and happy rest of the summer (except in Australia I suppose)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 pm 

Have a safe trip Hilary and enjoy yourself! I'll be looking forward to you cutting that up and looking inside!

My base (from a UK supplier) isn't perfectly glassy clear like some I see on here but that's ok cos I don't really do the stuff they do. I'd love to know how to get that really glassy look but, so far, I've never been able to achieve it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 pm 

Hi everyone - I'm back from a glorious vacation. I've not cut into the log mold yet but will do so in the next day and post the outcome.

Here's a photo of a View of Mt Bachelor, South Sister, Middle Sister, Broken Top, North Sister in/near Bend Oregon where we spent a week of the two we were away.

I'm focused right now on uploading my photos to snapfish and making a photobook for my family. I missed working on my soap designs, but at the same time it was a good 'break' to read, swim, bike ride, and hike with my hubby and boys.

Hope you are all well
Hilary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:16 am 

Welcome back, hope you had a brilliant time!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:10 am 

Welcome back!