[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - molds pros and cons

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: molds pros and cons
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:59 pm 

Just wondered how many of you used loaf or slab molds and which is your favourite. Do you find and pros or cons with each?
I am currently using loaf style molds but would really like to try the slab stlye. Is it better to go with the silicon or wood?

Post subject: Re: molds pros and cons
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 am 

For M&P, I use a loaf mold and 3-D molds. I've tried slab molds, but feel that the soaps from the loaf and 3-D molds have a nicer look. The advantage to the 3-D molds, though, is that you can make up smaller batches, say if a customer wants a particular fragrance and you don't want to make an entire 2.5 lb batch of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 am 

I just bought a loaf mould - not used it yet, waiting for it to arrive.

I use plain square, oval and rectangle moulds - I like to do something different within a plain shape (doesn't always work like that of course!).

I guess it depends on if you're using the soap for personal use or selling - for selling loaf and slab certainly seem to be a better deal, for just yourself individual moulds (or 4/6/8 cavities per mould) would seem a better option.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 am 

I use mostly single molds for MP. Flowers, circles, rectangles etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:44 pm 

I am a huge fan of "slab" molds. Mine is a shiny silicone brownie pan that I've had forever. I think I got it for $9 at Ross. Anyway, I love it because there's a large working area which becomes the surface of your soap. Here is an example of soap I made in the brownie pan before cutting into bars:

The versatility of the slab mold for designs is endless. I use it over and over. I even used it in my latest issue of Let's Get Soapy for these textured bars:

So, anyway, HUGE fan of the slab mold! :)
(Don't use wood, BTW!)

- [i]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:34 pm 

For MP, I usually use single molds. I also have log and slab molds from SoapHutch for CP. It depends what you want to do.

Last edited by soapbuddy on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:46 pm 

I like to have all the options available and mainly use my soaphutch mold that can be used as a slab and log mold and individual bar slab etc.. For melt and pour I go between slab and log molds. The slab is great for designs an large surface area as Soapylove mentioned. Other times I love making a log soap so I can do layers and have a larger area of each colour.

I have lots of smaller molds too which are great for custom orders if someone wants only a few bars of something in a particular scent it's easy to whip up. I use silicone molds for smaller soaps like flowers, hearts etc. which are really easy to work with.

Soapylove,

I love that first soap with the squares on it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 am 

Thank you soapchick!!

I was pondering this topic the other night as my daughter kept me up during the wee hours, and I figured out how to use inflexible/rigid molds with MP soap. It's actually not my idea at all - you just need to line the mold first.

I did a rustic version inspired by goat cheese here with a little tutorial: .

I think the trick is using a liner that sticks up above your soap level so you can pull on it and get the soap out. Also, for MP, you need to make sure the liner is firmly stuck to the mold surface so it doesn't just become one with your soap bar. I've had that problem before when I've poured soap onto a fabric in a flat mold. But I have a suggestion on how to get around that in the above tutorial.

I'm sure if I start to do a little research into CP soap mold lining then I could learn a lot!

- [i]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:03 pm 

I make most of my molds using a rtv mold resin I get from Aeromarine products. I use their casting resin to make positives and then put a bunch of postitives in a one of those disposable aluminum pans you get from the grocery store. Just pour the mixed rtv over it and in eight hours you have a cured mold. Its flexible, easy to demold the poured soaps and can be used over and over. Its a little expensive but you can make a mold out of just about anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:33 pm 

What kind of mold would you advice for glycerine type? Is there a loaf mold for MP and is it the wooden type or the steel? I am new to soap making and need advice. I am getting started with buying my epquipment and kit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:08 pm 

I would not use steel. You're going to have a hard time getting the soap out. I would not use this type of mold for CP at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:41 pm 

Please help! Im new to soapmaking. What type of mold can i use for CP or MP? Loaf wood type or the plastic ones I see in the michaels store?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 pm