[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - 100% Coconut soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 100% Coconut soap
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:14 pm 

Hi..
I made a small batch of 100% coconut oil and used 20% superfat. It's been curing for a month now. I just put my tongue on one of the bars and it zapped me a lot.. Is that normal that after 4 weeks the lye is still there?

I used

36oz coconut
11.90oz water
5.30oz (20% superfat)

What can I do?

Post subject: Re: 100% Coconut soap
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 pm 

I ran your numbers through soap calc, and they seem okay. The only answer is that you measured incorrectly.
I make 100% CO soap with a 20% superfat regularly, and it NEVER zaps. Ever.

You may think you measured correctly, but if you are really getting zapped (lye heavy) then you must not have.

Also - check the batteries on your scale, and get a weight of known mass to check it's accuracy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 pm 

I checked the accuracy of the scale with a few nickles and it was right on the money at 5g

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:45 am 

so, there's nothing I could do at this point?...so, since it's been 4 weeks and the lye is present, no point on letting it cure further right?
Since it has oatmeal in it, I cant even use for washing clothes.

I get your point of maybe I measured incorrectly..but I did make 2 small batches.. so, i could have measured incorrectly once, but twice?
Both batches are the same..the lye is there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:51 am 

Well, let's look at this logically.

You say your scale is accurate.
I checked your number on a soap calculator that I know is accurate, and they are fine.

You say that they are lye heavy.

It is UNLIKELY, but not impossible, that you measured incorrectly on both batches.

So the only possibilities that I see are this:

Your scale malfunctioned at the moment of measuring both batches.
You looked at your numbers wrong/misread the recipe or the scale display.
You are mistaken about what "lye heavy" feels like on the tongue. (I never use that test - not sure what I am looking for...and I don't like the taste of soap, lol)
Your lye is contaminated/not pure/somehow too strong. (I have never heard of that, but I suppose it is possible...)

Pick one. The saying goes that: "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable, is the answer."

But whatever it is, if it is still lye heavy after 4 weeks, that is not going to change. You can either toss it or rebatch it.
If you have never rebatched before, I recommend doing it - a good exercise and you may end up with something rustic and cool.
Lots of info out there on rebatching - I use the crock pot personally.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:45 am 

Well, I have made HP soap before on a crock pot, but I have not rebatched yet.
In my case, do I need to add more oil, and if so, how much more?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:56 pm 

I would rebatch by adding 0.5 oz. of an oil. Adding too much can make the soap greasy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:42 pm 

Well..
I think Im just gonna leave it alone.. since we are talking about rebatching...
I have another batch that I used about 29% coconut oil and is a bit drying.. can I fix that by rebatching and adding oil?
I have olive and castor oil..which one do you recommend and how much..it's a 36oz batch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:05 pm 

Rebatching is not that hard. Chunk it or shred it up with gloves on then put in a crock pot that you started on medium. Turn to low and let it turn into a mashed potatoes consistency. Keep stirring once in a while. You can add the 0.5 oz of olive oil at any time. I would not use castor for a rebatch.

I don't normally go above 20% of coconut oil in a recipe with other oils as I find anything above 20% (coconut) drying.
The exception is 100% coconut with a 20% superfat.