[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Clumpy aloe soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clumpy aloe soap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 pm 

I made my first batch of aloe soap. I subbed aloe liquid (lists aloe liquid 1x as the only ingredient) for nearly 50% of the water (2 oz out of 4.15 oz total liquid, with 1/4 t sodium lactate.) The lye solution wasn't perfectly colorless like it usually is. It was slightly clear tan. When I combined the lye and oils (coconut, palm, olive, canola, and castor) the soap batter was thicker than normal. (They were near 125 degrees F and within 2 degrees of each other.) The batter stirred (stick blender) fine and reached trace as usual. I divided the batter into two sections, colored both (a bit of titanium dioxide to lighten one section and some chromium oxide for the other, both dispersed in 1T of oil mix.) I added half the aloe fragrance to both and combined them back together for an in-the-pot swirl. All went well until I poured into the mold. I noticed a several clumps, up to marble size, as I poured. I haven't unmolded and cut the soap yet. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Post subject: Re: Clumpy aloe soap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:26 pm 

That sounds like ricing or partial seizing. It could be from the fragrance oil. Or, it's possible that you didn't mix all the way to the bottom of the pot and those pieces are from the very bottom. I would make sure that those pieces didn't zap.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:16 am 

The clumps were isolated. I didn't see any ricing or seizing in the rest of the batter. I bet it was a stirring issue. It wouldn't be the first time I'd neglected to stir thoroughly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:27 am 

I finally cut the soap. It's still soft for its age. I can't locate any of the clumps. The soap has some small glycerin rivers near the top. No zapping. Do you think it will be safe to use? I have a test slice from an end; will that be representative of the loaf?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:52 pm 

Small glycerin rivers near the top usually means that the soap tried to overheat. Some fragrances can do that. I would cut the soap when it's hard enough to cut and test for zap.
What you do is dampen your finger. Slide that finger across the cut surface of the bar, then lightly touch it to your tongue. If it zaps, then there is a problem. In that case I would rebatch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:02 pm 

I already cut it. The glycerin rivers are in a layer near the top, but beneath the surface. I tested the slices; no zapping. So it should be safe to use, yes?

I laid some cardboard over the mold but left the sides open. Looks like I should have left it completely uncovered.

I suspect the saccharides in the aloe could be as responsible for the heating as the fragrance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:20 pm 

If it doesn't zap, go ahead and let it cure for 4-6 weeks.