[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - squishy soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: squishy soap
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:32 am 

I made chocolate soap last night. I used 10% cocoa butter and 10% canola oil with olive, palm and coconut oils. I used the heat transfer method (which I LOOOOVE) but not with the palm oil since that whole thing needed to be melted/stirred. This was 10% superfat. I soaped at about 130 degrees, maybe a little bit less. It set up great and gelled well overnight. Except for the bottom around 1/2 inch or so. That's a lot lighter and very squishy. I actually turned the loaf upside down to sit out of the mold another day because it is so so soft and almost gooey. What did I do wrong? Could it still get harder, maybe just take longer?

10% cocoa butter
10% canola oil
25% palm oil
25% coconut oil
30% olive oil
Cocoa powder and FO at trace covered with a towel overnight.

Edited to add that I don't mind making mistakes at all. If you LEARN something from them they can be valuable lessons!

Post subject: Re: squishy soap
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:36 pm 

Sounds like you got a partial gel. Ungelled soap can start out softer. I would give it some time.
I don't use use Canola oil at all as it gave me DOS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:05 pm 

I knew you said that. I had some though that I got from BB and theirs is supposed to better about that. So I wanted to use it up. I am going to order Castor Oil in the future. It was a partial gel. I wonder if I had put it on a heating pad if it would have gelled to the bottom. Do you think the recipe was off in some way, or just really it was just a gel thing?

I want to thank who ever mentioned the heat transfer method on here and said it was her preferred method. I REALLY like doing that a LOT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm 

Just as long as the loaf was still in one piece, you could put it back in the mold with a heating pad underneath. Leave it there til the soap gels.
I don't use the heat transfer method as I use beeswax. Beeswax has a higher melt point.