[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Hard chlorinated water + Shampoo Bars..

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:29 am 

Hello all,
I learnt from few e-books that hard water's calcium and magnesium ions are causing scum on the scalp when we use shampoo bars and hard water. ( worst results despite ACV rinses )

Hard water + Shampoo Bars + EDTA = clean scalp????

Also, Disodium or Tetra Sodium EDTA, a chemical derivative ( Ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid, widely abbreviated as EDTA ) has the capacity to dissolve these calcium and magnesium ions and does help the soap to work well with hard water too.

Which means, if we add EDTA to our CP soap recipes, can we end up using shampoo bars without flaky scalp even with the hardest water??

I am a soaping addict.. I really want to make shampoo bars that could be a panacea for all hair problems which could work well even with the hardest water..

Please help me to understand the technical aspects behind. If we could use EDTA ( safe?? ) how much to use.. when to add it..

Thank you all in advance.. Attached pic is my fav recipe.. Green tea + Oats + Peppermint & Lemongrass soap

Happy soaping.
Sree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:38 am 

You want Tetrasodium EDTA. Usage rate is 0.1%. This helps reduce soap scum.
With that said, I simply cannot use handmade shampoo bars for my hair. Even with a vinegar rinse, it makes my hair rough and feel like straw. I have thin, long, blonde hair.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:03 pm 

I use distilled water I buy it at my local grocery store and with coconut oil it makes the creamiest richest soap ever
Its very cheap and I already buy it for my CP machine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 am 

You are trying to say that I have to use distilled water for washing my hair? or for CP soap making?? I already use DM water for my CP. Actually i'm looking for selling my shampoo bars. If its for my personal use, then I can even buy DM water for showers.
Since its for selling, I want to make sure that these should work well in all waters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:05 pm 

I am new so I might be wrong but isn't the oils more important , coconut oil is better in hard water
and distilled water is the only water I use to make soaps .
I would not want to have to add the name of a chemical to soap label , I list all ingredients and I fear that too many chemical in my soap may deter buyers .
I do notice though that the more chemicals the more stable a bar and that's why large companies use them