[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - neutralizing liquid soap paste superfatted at 0%

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:04 pm 

I think I'm going to keep on thinking about this for awhile. Until i either get some real nice face protection mask and/or find out what happens worse case scenario if i mess up and get it too hot. Does it explode or catch on fire or what?

I asked these questions over in that forum to the author of that technique, who replied to me but when I asked her these questions specifically she not only didn't answer but she deleted my questions. So thank you for the info. I'm going to try this eventually. I have a whole buncha glycerin like 2 gallons of the stuff but i just can't bring myself to put it in a ss pan and heat it up. I think Anna's recipe that takes 10 hours is maybe good enough unless i want to sell it which i guess don't need to do bad enough enough to risk this w/o a facemask. Anna's LS recipe will go faster if we add some paste (or liquid glycerin prob) while it is saponifying. I wish ArtisanShelly would post a video instead of talking about how she is trying to get around to it soon. I don't like how she deleted my comments. They are perfectly reasonable questions and deleting perfectly reasonable questions, particularly pertaining to safety, do nothing to allay my concerns.

Thanks Soapy I just need to think about this for awhile. But i appreciate 'ya dropping some knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:15 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:43 am 

That would be great. Probably it was not Shelly who deleted the questions, as it was not her thread, only one she was participating in.

I will re-post my questions over on Sage, on the correct thread this time. Thanks Soapy. That would be super cool if you could get her to do that video.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:51 am 

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:24 pm 

That's great news, Soapy! Thanks. That definitely warrants a whoop whoop. I didn't want to leave you hanging.

I post under Johnnyusa. I'll go over there now and make a post of some questions.

I do need to make some more LS. I hated that stuff at first but now I love it and I gave alwa most of my like 260 ounce batch that took me dang near like uh 11 hours to make. I sure would like it if I could whoop up some more LS in 30 mins instead of 11 hours. 30 mins is definitely way better. I'm just a little nervous heating up glycerin. I guess YOU could make a video and post it on youtube then link from there, or upload the video to the TeachSoap FB page. I'm going to go down to walmart and buy some kind of Halloween mask to try this with- my face is far to handsome to have hot lyed up saponifying glycerin splashed all over it!

If anybody else wants to make a comment anytime soon that'll be fine. It's just me'n Soapy here having a duet a capella and nobody else cares about making LS in 30 mins? I love Anne's recipe too but if SB or anybody else thinks this is a bad idea please chime in. Or a good idea- this forum works on groupthink. That's ok but when Soapy gets that vid posted here I bet everybody will be doit and be owing her some thanks. THANKS, SOAPY!!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:04 pm 

I do use the glycerin method for liquid soap, but I always warm up the glycerin on the stove, then add the lye. If it looks like it's going to overflow, I just take the pan off the heat. I haven't tried the cold method like she is doing. So you now have 2 gallons of glycerin johnnyusa?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:46 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:07 am 

Soapy, well, i did it last nite and you were right it was really easy. Shelly is a very nice lady and smart.

I can see how adding some colorant is a good idea bc this stuff is browner than when using water as the liquid.

The thing is, & I used the oil ratios Shelly recommended, & it came out a honey-like liquid, not a paste. I saw in the tutorial Shelly say she balls her paste up into 4 ounce balls, but mine was a thick liquid when I opened the crock pot this morning. A thick honey-like viscosity. I'm not even going to dilute it until I need it. It passed the zap test and then I put some in the sink and it worked just fine, like soap is supposed to work. But it's not a paste so I'm not sure if I did something wrong. I could probably dilute it down w/ 75% distilled water tho just like Shelly recommends and it will prob be just fine. So I'm pretty happy even if it isn't a paste. Holy smokes Soapy you just taught me how to make soap in about 30 mins instead of 11 hours!! Thank you!

note to anyone else trying this: the boiling temp of glycerin is 290 and the flash point, or where it catches fire/explodes, is 320. So if you use a whisk & a laser temp gauge you should be able to dissolve all the lye by about 270 but def by the time it gets to 290-300 degrees when it is a very light boil all the lye is gone and u want to take it off the heat before it gets close to that flash point. I like using an extra large whisk at first, then switching to a smaller whisk for detail work getting last bits of lye mixed in w/ help of a slotted SS spoon. A slotted spoon bc a slotted spoon and whisk are less chance of splashing lye water while stirring. And do Anne's liquid soap recipe i would not try this for my first attempt at LS-making. But it's pretty easy just be careful. Wearing full protective headgear is good idea since it is possible for the glycerin to foam, bubble, * volcano on you if you make even the smallest mistake. I didn't have any such problem at all but i was real dang careful.

Holy smokes Soapy, you ( & Shelly) just taught me how to make liquid soap in about 30 mins instead of 11 hours! Great Caesar's ghost! Thank you! What can I do to repay the favor? Can I send you some free soap, either liquid or bar, perfume, or I can send you some puerh tea from an 800+year old tea tree sourced for me by a Buddhist monk? Until you've had some of this stuff you've never really had tea, in exactly the same way you can shop at Walmart your whole life and never realize the difference between real soap and a petroleum-based detergent this here tea has never seen the inside of a furnace or fermented in wet storage like american teas & th ebuyer tests'em for pesticides. http://www.puerhshop.com for all u bozos (SB excluded) but yo Soapy ill send you some for free- i got u. Thank you for teaching me smthng & contributing to the forum. I guess everybody else is on FB.

Man I can't stop playing with this stuff in my (multiple) half gallon mason jars. I'm going to let it sequester for at least a week before I even think about diluting or scenting any of it, but like I can't stop playing w/ the jars bc the LS is so pretty it looks like a honey w/ a slightly less thick & absolutely pourable viscosity. I was expecting a paste for some reason to materialize out of that stuff I stick blended last nite. Everybody run do not walk over to the Sage forum and check that recipe out, but learning w/ Anne's recipe is a good idea bc uh listen, kids- glycerin IS flammable, unlike distilled water. I was glad to see Soapbuddy over there observing the conversation making sure I didn't do anything stupid or otherwise she would've objected & I would have been less comfortable trying the procedure until the $174 + shipping 3M industrial protective facemask that I ordered in the mail arrives 'cause I know SB isn't going to let me blow up my kitchen. I'm going wait until that mask gets here to see if I can finish whooping up the rest of my two gallon glycerin supply, in one time if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:57 pm 

Hi Johnny, I actually like my color when I make it. I did try adding color a few times, but I am not an expert. I talked with ArtisanShelly about that a long time ago, she said that she has used Mica to color the Liquid Soap. It works, but after awhile having the container sit around, the Mica will tend to drop down to the bottom of the container. But, after a quick shake, the color all blends in again. So..ya, not a good selling point, you do not want your mica sitting on the bottom of the bottle. You could tell ppl to just shake it to re-blend the mica, but that might get old after awhile. So, long story short, Both ArtisanShelly and I have talked about it and decided that the pour-able honey "look" to the soap is pretty enough, all on its own. Neither of us have tried using liquid soap colorant. That might work. So, you try something and let me know how it works out for you. If you like it, I might try it myself.

I do not know why you did not have a soap paste. I am not saying you did the recipe wrong, but just saying, that every time I do the recipe posted over at the sage.com, the Liquid Soap Glycerin Method, I get soap paste each and ever time I make it. The ONLY time I have ever had a new result is when I have messed up and added either too much oil, or for OTHER Reasons. Sometimes I do not even know I did something wrong until like the nest day when I have time to go over my method and I can think about things. usually I get soap paste unless I did something accidently to change the recipe. So, glad you liked it, maybe ask ArtisanShelly why you did not get soap paste. She might have the answer for you.
As far as a gift, oh well you can just give that to ArtisanShelly instead. Shucks, she was the one that did all the work trying to post the recipe and help to everyone. She is a very talented soaper, but most of all, she is a helpful person and helps everyone that asks. She is somebody I trust and she really has great care for people. So ya, give it to her, all I did was send you to her. She was the one who helped you at the end of the day in a huge way. But thank you for thinking of me, how nice of you, that was very sweet. I will pass my gift onto the one that deserves it more, ArtisanShelly. Thanks Johnny!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:44 am 

Soapy,

Wow, you and me make the most popular thread on this forum in long time, but nobody except you or me says nothing :)

I take a little break since figuring out this process, but I log onto my computer just to reply to you. Usually I am sitting on my couch sufing the net from my tablet but that is too hard to type from. I am having some Chinese green tea from an unglazed Japanese clay pot. Is good.

So I wanted to make a couple of comments to your comments. Firstly, I think if we actually want to sell this stuff prob we should color it. For myself, I do leave it uncolored bc I like the honey color enough to not need to add preservatives. But consumers do not know this for the most part. Consumers want a pretty transparent bottle w/ brightly colored soap. I need to find a place to buy very pretty almost perfume-level bottles. Alibaba search engine is a good place to buy the foam dispensing bottles for hand soap. They are quite adequate and cheap compared to Amazon or Ebay. I am thinking about adding some food coloring maybe for color. I know it is still a chemical basically, but I wonder if that might be the best option if we must use color, bc the mica will separate after time and most consumers don't want to shake the bottle.

So, more importantly, I want to share w/ you the reason why my soap did not become paste. I made a mistake, but it was a most fortuitous mistake. That first batch that came out like honey rather than paste was beautiful. This is a wonderful way to make a very thick body gel that does not require any dilution w/ water whatsoever. So what i did was I used the BB lye calc, rather than the one Shelly recommends Summer Bee, but I used to wrong number for my liquids. Instead of using the proper number for liquid/water/glycerin, I used the 'Total Yield' value output by the BB lye Calc.

So, for example, using Shelly's proportions, of 10% Castor, 25% Coconut (76 degree), 65% olive (not pomace), inputting 50 ounces of oil for this recipe, the BB lye calc spits out, "Ounces of Liquid Recommended," is 32.5, and, "(Total) Yield," is 93 ounces. So I mistakenly used the 93 ounce measurement for the amount of glycerin. It is a much more expensive formula, but it is awesome. I have not calculated my price per ounce yet glycerin-wise, but for sure it's ain't cheap like distilled water. But it makes an really really beautifully pourable liquid that would be very appropriate for either a body gel or a shampoo. And I do not think this product ever needs a preservative bc like the paste there is no water in it so the shelf life must be nearly indefinite.

I have not had any luck yet diluting Shelly's paste with 75% water and getting a comparable product, altho she says it should make a thick enough soap that you can pour i tinto your hand and put it on your head w/o all the soap running out of the hand. To me I just have to add sufficient water to the paste to get it all into solution and then I reduce it, or evaporate all the water out I possibly can before the soap begins to fall out of solution again. Then I add a tiny little bit more water and stick blend it one more time then unplug the crock pot and let it cool and pour it into a glass mason to sequester for at least a week before adding EOs for fragrance- perish the thought of using FOs.