[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Oh No. Help.

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oh No. Help.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:54 pm 

Hello Folks -

I need help in understanding my recent goats milk soap failure.

I made enough for 2 - 2.5 lb. loaf molds. I used store bought goats milk, colloidal oatmeal and cosmetic honey in the recipe.

One loaf was allowed to gel. The other one was refrigerated for a few hours.

Now, for the cutting. Both loafs exhibited similar unwanted results which resulted in blown batches. They both were very crumbly when cut. Each one had a hollow, liquid core with fungus-like growth. It was most unusual and disappointing.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? The only thing I can think of that I used too much colloidal oatmeal and too much liquid (honey?)

Does anyone have a good goats milk, oatmeal and honey recipe?

All the best,

BubbleBath

Post subject: Re: Oh No. Help.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 pm 

Yes. The crystal like hollow core is from overheating. Goat's milk and honey both have natural sugars. Depending on how much of each you used, that could be your problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 am 

Here's how I make OMH soap, and it's never failed me.

I increase the water in Soap Calc from 38% to 40%/

I use 1/2 canned milk and 1/2 water. For example, if the recipe calls for 10 oz of water, I will dissolve my lye in 5 oz of water and add 5 oz of canned milk to my oils.

I use the "milk in oil" method. I dissolve my lye in my water, let it cool, then heat my oils. When the oils are between 90 and 100 degrees, I add the milk and 1 tablespoon of honey PPO to the oils, blend it well, then add the lye. I always blend before adding the lye water, b/c the honey and milk will seperate from the oils, so I blend them so they are well mixed before I add the lye water.

I don't fight gel. I just let it do its thing.

My log mold holds 4 logs. I will use the 1st log and the 3rd log, and leave the 2nd and 4th logs empty, so the two logs of soap aren't heating each other up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:19 pm 

I'm on my 15th goat milk loaf. I had a couple issues and now... its really almost easier. I use 100% goat milk (raw organic from a farmer) freeze in .5oz cubes. mix all my oils (shea coconut olive and palm and castor) get my oils to the temp I want them, around 75-80f. then I mix the lye, slowly with the frozen cubes. I do everything the same as if it were water. Put right into the freezer once I have it in the mold.

I am addicted to goat milk soap. Its the most amazing on the skin, and now that I hve a local farmer supplying me... its even better!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 pm 

I had the same results in one of my first batches , funny thing its my favourite bar , supper sudsy and and soft , but ugly with holes and cracks and it crumbles