[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - How Long Should Laundry Soap Bar Cure?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:00 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to make a CP 100% CO soap with a 1% superfat. Plan to grind it in food proc so I can add to borax and washing soda to make laundry powder. Do I need to let the soap cure first for the standard 4-6 wks before I can do laundry with it? I've read on this forum and on other websites that 100% CO soap gets hard very fast and I'll probably have to grind it within 24 hrs of making it, but nothing definitive on how long to let it cure. Thanks in advance.

"....with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
http://www.tousheabodyboutique.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 pm 

Curing makes the soap milder and helps for the water to evaporate. Since this is for laundry and you are superfatting only at 1%, you can shred it as soon as it's hard enough. Don't forget to wear gloves!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:29 am 

I shred my laundry bars right after I make them. I also don't worry about letting the bars cure since it's just for laundry. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:18 am 

Thanks Irena and Linda! :) I'm going to make some later today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:55 pm 

Please post with how it works out, I've been wanting to try making my own laundry soap, but I've been procrastinating.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 pm 

I will. I took the easy(read lazy) way out the first time I made it by using a bar of Fels Naphtha(?spelling). This time I decided to take the more natural approach.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:32 pm 

Oh I wish I had a good food processor that will grind up coconut oil laundry soap...can you tell me which one you use?

All I have is a Ninja and it doesn't do a very good job, plus the air is full of powder which is messy and aggravating. So, I have been using a potato peeler and I wear gloves and start peeling the soap about 1-2 hours after I pour and it has solidified. I will usually let the "peels" dry out a couple of days, then they can be crumpled up and used in the laundry. I have not found that it is necessary to let it cure 4-6 weeks. As you can imagine this is time consuming so would love to find a food processor that would grind it up quickly! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:31 am 

I finally got around to making my laundry soap today. :roll: Here's a pic right after I poured it into the mold. The 2 white bars are unscented for my daughter, and the off-white ones are scented w/lemon & lime EOs for husb & I. I expected the batch to trace fast since everyone says 100% CO soap hardens fast, but it didn't. All I have is a Magic Bullet lovegreyhounds, so I hope it works. Will post an update later.

]Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:02 pm 

Well, my Bullet did not grind the soap as I'd hoped. Last night I cut a bar into small cubes, about 1" or so. Then I placed about half of the cubes into the Bullet, using the "chopping" blade. Instead of grinding, it turned the cubes into matted globs of soap! :x I had no problems using this method w/the Fels bar, but of course even though my CO bars were hard as a brick on the outside, the inside was still a little soft. I ended up breaking out the handheld grater to finish the job. I decided to give the Bullet one more chance so I added 1c each borax & washing soda to the blender attachment, then the shreds from 1 bar and blended together. To my surprise and relief, it turned into a nice powder. I've already washed a load of my little one's clothes and didn't have any issues. :)

Mine is over 10 yrs old, maybe they've improved since then? If anyone can recommended a machine that's better at grinding soap I'd be much obliged. I really like making my own detergent, I mean the environmental friendliness & savings can't be beat, but the shredding is a major pain in the (_)(_) . :lol:

Last edited by ShaShea on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:05 pm 

Rgere is probally an easier way but I use those hard cheese shredders that has the little wheel and you just crank it and the wheel turns and shreds the soap (do y'all even know what I am talking about :shock: :lol: ) they are really cheap (at least when I got mine a while back) Oh! and they may sell electric ones now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 pm 

Ahh yes, the rotary graters like they use in Italian restaurants. Thanks Anna! That would be much better than the one I use. I'm going to look for one online asap. I still have 2 more bars to grate. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:59 am 

Why grate your soap? First of all use liquid soap, & keep some dry washing soda/baking soda/borax mixed up in a tub by the laundry machine. Just add like a cup of powdered n a squirt of liquid soap.

Just the liquid soap cleans my cloths great. I use 100% coconut 0% superfat for laundry & dishes.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:30 am 

Do you have a good recipe for liquid 100% CO laundry soap? I would love to have it if you do. I am looking to try making laundry soap for the first time so I am a complete newbie at this. You will have to explain it so I understand everything. Don't get me wrong. I have made hard 100% Coconut oil soap but never liquid. Would love to try, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:24 am 

Sure, Vonnedeak. The basic recipe is pretty easy, just run it thru the BB lye calc w 100% coconut using 0% superfat. For laundry n dishes.

Yes, there is a much better way to make LS but nobody teaches it here for some reason. You can make LS from room temp glycerin in about 20 mins. Soapy Sugar was kind enough to teach me and i will help you. Pls read this post starting where Soapy makes her first comment and if you have any questions i'm happy to answer them.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13088