[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Fragrance is separating

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fragrance is separating
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 pm 

I've mixed up a batch of air freshner using aloe, dw, vodka and a few essential oils. I love the fragrance but it is separating out of the mixture and rising to the top of the container. How can I stop this separation and keep the eo's in suspension please?

Oh I used litsea cubeba as an anchoring scent with rosemary and peppermint so this smells so yum.

Stay cool everyone it's so hot out and about! Two days ago 92 in Anchorage Alaska!

~bytheSEAsoap~ Mella bythesea, bythesea, bythebeautiful sea

海の皂

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:59 pm 

Unless you have an emulsifier in there like polysorbate, it will keep separating out. Essential oils do not mix with water based ingredients like aloe, and vodka has too much water.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:50 pm 

Thank you Irena. Is there a specific percentage of polysorbate that is needed? I do have a preservative to use.

~bytheSEAsoap~ Mella bythesea, bythesea, bythebeautiful sea

海の皂

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:08 pm 

Every essential oil has a molecular weight so the same amount of polysorbate won't work for all. Try 1:1 polysorbate to essential oils.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:30 am 

I use 1:1 on small EO amounts (less than a tsp), less on larger amounts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 am 

Mella, I would not use the polysorbate for this, but rather, I'd use (and do) Dipropylene Glycol (DPG). Not only does it work for the emulsification, but it cuts the amount of eo's that you need for the amount of scent you want to throw. It is routinely used in incense making, reed diffusers and room freshener sprays. Most vendors carry it, including BB.

Enjoy Alaska!

Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:13 am 

I don't use Dipropylene Glycol as some people don't like this ingredient and wrongly assume that it's something else.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 am 

I used to stay away from it as well, but now I use it in the reed diffuser oil I make. It really saves me money by extending my fragrance (which the polysorbate won't do) and it blends well too. I have not had any of my greenies (and that is who I mostly serve) question it. My room fresheners sell well, so I haven't had an issue with using it.

Tammy