[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Sea Water

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sea Water
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 am 

Ok, another of my off the wall, questions. :D

Has anyone tried making soap with sea water ?

Does the salt make the soap crumble.

Any thoughts would be welcome

BTW - not planning to go to the ocean and just get a bucket full - was planning on using filtered. :lol:

What would I do without you guys??
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Sea Water
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am 

IMO if the water has any dissolved metals, the soap could be more prone to DOS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 am 

Thanks, as always, I will bear that in mind. x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:02 pm 

Chanting around a candle to resurrect this olde thread... lol

Now that I live on the ocean, wondering if I can stroll down through my backyard, get a bucket of sea water - pour it through a filter, then use it to make soap?

Anybody ever done that?

Will there be a noticeable difference in the soap?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:32 am 

Anakiya -

Wow... I just did this today... Got my water yesterday & ran it through a coffee filter.

I figured, well, I'm using a bit of salt anyway, so why not... :idea: :roll:

It's a detox soap with Pink Kaolin & Spirulina & Activated Charcoal... and a bit of home-collected, cleaned & dehydrated algae from my fave beach just for the smell since the Spirulina didn't have much sea smell.

I made a bit extra for my wood log mold, and dumped the different colors back into the pot, passed through with the spatula, then filled some 90gram individual plastic molds.

It soaped the same as my "normal" recipe, no dramas.

Looks fantastic - pale pink & green swirls in ivory base with a very fine charcoal swirl... When I cut it tomorrow, I'll let you know if it came out as I had hoped/planned...

I can't wait. :mrgreen:

I just LERVE "theme soaps."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:03 pm 

Looking forward to hearing how it unmoulds, whether it hardens faster - all that insider info ;)!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:13 am 

OK, y'all... Here goes.

My "goal" with this soap was to do an ivory base with pink & green swirl (or blop, as is my stile... :oops: ).

[img][/img]

First time posting a photo here, so hope it goes...

The sea water soaped just like normal in this recipe. Was a trinity with lard, coconut, olive, castor & beeswax. Colorants: pink kaolin clay and spirulina, with a bit of activated charcoal in olive oil for the top swirl. I'm calling it "Tierra y Mar" (Land & Sea Detox Bar)...

It did ash a little bit, but in such a way to actually enhance the swirl. Gonna leave it for the effect. :wink:

Folks walking down the street were watching me thru the big plate glass windows of our kitchen/dining room... They wanted to talk soap, but I was in the middle of pouring at that moment. Invited them in (cold out), but they watched through the window. (Cabana is so small, it's a better view from outside. :lol: )

End result = 4 bars pre-sold... And $660 worth of cured soap/creams sold. (Don't get excited - that's pesos, not dollars.) :mrgreen:

I'll hang onto a bar or 2 just to see how it goes, if any of the sea minerals cause issues... or if it leads to DOS (don't think so, because I've done it once before, but that was a salt spa bar).

Now, lessee if the photo came out...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:15 am 

OK, y'all... Here goes.

My "goal" with this soap was to do an ivory base with pink & green swirl (or blop, as is my stile... :oops: ).

First time posting a photo here, so hope it goes...

The sea water soaped just like normal in this recipe. Was a trinity with lard, coconut, olive, castor & beeswax. Colorants: pink kaolin clay and spirulina, with a bit of activated charcoal in olive oil for the top swirl. I'm calling it "Tierra y Mar" (Land & Sea Detox Bar)...

It did ash a little bit, but in such a way to actually enhance the swirl. Gonna leave it for the effect. :wink:

Folks walking down the street were watching me thru the big plate glass windows of our kitchen/dining room... They wanted to talk soap, but I was in the middle of pouring at that moment. Invited them in (cold out), but they watched through the window. (Cabana is so small, it's a better view from outside. :lol: )

End result = 4 bars pre-sold... And $660 worth of cured soap/creams sold. (Don't get excited - that's pesos, not dollars.) :mrgreen:

I'll hang onto a bar or 2 just to see how it goes, if any of the sea minerals cause issues... or if it leads to DOS (don't think so, because I've done it once before, but that was a salt spa bar).

Now, lessee if the photo came out...

Rats! Too big. Anyone who knows how to cut it down to about 1/2 size, holler me up! I looked in PB & didn't find it, but then, I'm visually challenged (okay, legally blind) and sometimes I miss stuff, especially with the screen blown up 5X.