[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Idea Sharing for soap shavings :)

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:24 pm 

Hi all,

Sometimes I use a vegetable peeler to give my CPHP soap smooth edges. I have been putting the shavings in empty Altoid tins for those times when I'm somewhere where there's no soap (store restrooms, at times) or just because I want to use my own. What about you? Have any ideas you want to share for your soap bits/shavings?

"Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm 

I use scraps to add to another soap batch or I add any shavings into a cloth bag that can be tied and use that to wash with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm 

I save my scrap soaps and chop them up tiny pieces melt clear or white MP or both into a new chunk loaf soap.. use a strong EO/FO to mask any other scents. I use this soap for my own personal use. I have single -use soap petals for those times when there no soap handy. I make those too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 pm 

I use cuttings for confetti soap, as embeds, or to add to a muslin bag like Soap Buddy does. I also use them for samples, both to mail out and to pass out to children when I am at a show. Kids just love getting their own "special" soap and you'd think that they got a whole bar!

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:28 am 

I also trim my edges so I end up with lots of shavings. I moisten them a tad, then mold into soap "burgers" that my family uses. The hamburger shape is easier to lather up than soap balls. We love 'em!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm 

ooo, a hamburger, that is a great one lilysmom!

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:05 am 

I saw this the other day and thought it was a great idea for using up my shavings.

http://www.lisaliseblog.com/2013/03/raw ... nsing.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am 

That is what some of us do too, and it is nice idea, except that I disagree with putting the oatmeal in and planning for it to last several uses. To me, oatmeal is a one time use in a bag. I don't feel it will dry out sufficiently in a bag after using it.

I thought that web site (the look) was really nice, so I looked around a bit. I was curious about her mixture of castor oil
almond oil, cocoa butter and shea butter, along with some clays . She makes them like a soap, like a melt and pour, and calls them "non-soap cleansers". She has several listed and says she loves how they feel on her "maturing" skin. I may have to try one to see for myself!

Thanks for sharing!

Tammy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:39 am 

Hi,

I use my soap shavings as our laundry detergent. I let them dry a bit, then put the in a blender to grind the down to smaller pieces. I just got a new washer & dryer and it seems to be fine. No problems and our clothes are really clean. I have three boys and sometimes I don't even know how they get so dirty but their clothes always comes out clean and ready for their next adventures.

Karey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:19 pm 

Tammy, I've made some of those cleansing bars from that site and I really like them
The oatmeal one is my favorite.

Karey, Do you add other stuff to your grated soap for laundry?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:53 pm 

Thanks for the info Birdies! I will have to try one for myself.
Laundry soap should not have any % of superfat in it, so I would watch using all your soap scraps for that. Your new washing machine may not last very long if it gets gunked up, or your clothes may begin looking dingy, or oily, or spotted with oil stains.

Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:52 pm 

Tammy I really like those facial bars too. She has one with rose petals and rose clay that I like as well as the oatmeal. I use oil cleansing method everyday but love the cleansing bars every few days. They are so easy and quick to make too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

Thanks Wild Chick! I love rose for the face, I just hate the price of rose otto, so I tend to use it just for special occasions and and special gifts. I also have been very stingy with my last jars of dried rose buds and petals from my garden at my old house. This sounds like maybe something to splurge on for myself!

Tammy