[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - More questions now that I've started!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:09 pm 

I have more questions now that I've actually made some soap!! I'm sorry this is epic, and you guys have already helped me so much with great advice, but I hope you'll have patience with me...
It is OK to handle my 24-hour old soap without gloves, right? Hubby and I did with no problems so far, anyway, LOL! But my paranoia has made me wash my hands about a bajillion times before I started cooking tonight and playing with our zoo of rescue animals. Any precautions I need to take, other than put the soap away where the animals can't get to it?
Also the hubby INSISTED that I ask if the ramekin I used as a mold can go back to being used for food. It was part of a set that belonged to his deceased mother...I just wasn't thinking when I grabbed it...I feel horrible. When we got the soap out of it, he washed it in the sink with our other dishes, which kind of freaked me out. Is this safe? Also, since I dumped all my dirty soapmaking utensils in a box until I got some cleaning advice (thanks!!) will it be OK to just wash it all next weekend when I plan to soap again, or do I need to wash them sooner? Will my lye solution pitcher be OK without gloves by then, or do I still need to neutralize it with vinegar and put gloves on to wash it out?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:57 am 

If that dish belonged to his dead mother Id wash it with vinegar then dish soap and never use it for soap again .Ever! ... Having said that I use old cups, bowls, pans, pots and utensils for soaping and keep them seperate from what I cook with. Infact I got most of my soaping equipment from yard sales for almost nothing. And after 7 years still have most of it in use. Welcome to the world of soap making.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:11 am 

I try to get my equipment cleaned up as soon as possible... esp the lye pitcher. Please do have gloves on when washing that pitcher, there was nothing added to that item for the lye to change with, so it is still lye. I will tell you that after a few batches you will fall into a system that works for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:35 am 

I can't work in gloves and paid the price one day when I got raw soap under my fingernails. That was ..........unplesent.