[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - HP is zapping

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP is zapping
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:45 pm 

Ladies, what do I do with my batch of HP that's cooking, and it's still zapping? I did:

9 oz of olive
.6 oz of castor
4.5 of distilled water
2.5 coconut oil
1.6 oz of lye

Post subject: Re: HP is zapping
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 pm 

That's a pretty small recipe. Did you convert it to grams to get a more accurate measure? Is your scale accurate? How long has it been cooking and in what temp?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:40 pm 

No, I didn't convert it into grams. Should I have? I make small batches because I don't need mass items because I sell only a few items at a time, I don't have much money so I try not to make huge batches. I only want about 3 nice pieces just in case they don't sell. Well what happened was, I set the oven 175 degrees which I'm thinking might be too low. I kept checking it and it kept on looking like applesauce, but it kept zapping. So I left it in there for a longer amount of time and hiked the oven up to 225 degrees. Finally I took it out after it didn't zap any longer, and it was much thicker.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:52 pm 

Yes, I would convert it to grams, including the lye. The water can stay in ozs. If it was me, I would also recalculate this recipe so it makes 16 ozs. instead of 12 ozs. For 12 ozs. of soap; whether crockpot or the oven, it should not have taken you more than 45 minutes. Did you bring the soap to true trace before it started cooking?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:15 pm 

I'm pretty sure, what is a true trace? I was stick blending and lifting it up every so often to see if the soap stayed on top. When it finally did, I guess you could say it was a light trace, that's when I put it in the oven.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:28 pm 

Since you're cooking it, you can bring the soap batter to a fairly thick trace. This means that a drizzle from your stick blender would stay on top of the soap for a couple of seconds before it sinks back in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:55 pm 

Thank you Soapbuddy. Do you think that 1.5 oz of lye would be okay instead of the 1.6 oz? Also, I used ultrmarine blue, I have ground Anatto, am I able to use that for coloring? If so, how do I do it? Also, how can I get this soap to come out without the white spots? I did the oil w/ the ultramarine, but as soon as I took the soap out of the oven and it started drying up, the white spots started popping out. Is there any way that I can avoid this? I would like for it to look fluid, not spotty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:08 pm 

1.6 ozs. is 40.55 grams
1.5 ozs. is 42.52 grams
For that size batch, depending how much you are superfatting, I would try to be as accurate as possible. For the ultramaring blue, hold back just a small amount of your oil and mix that with it.
Then add this to your cooled off oils and stick blend. Then add your lye water. For more fluidity after the cook, add some sodium lactate to your batch. The white spots are most likely cooked soap that has started to cool off. That happens with cooked soap.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

Ok soapbuddy, thank you for all of your help!! I don't have any sodium lactate, that will have to be the next thing I buy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:25 pm 

You're welcome. Good luck on your next batch.