[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Sugar scrub

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Sugar scrub
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 pm 

how can you make it cubs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:31 pm 

I believe that you may need preservatives in it because since it will most likely be kept in the bathroom, if water gets introduced into it, I think it could start to grow bacteria? Soapbuddy would know!!

Sonya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 pm 

Exactly why I put a preservative in it. I actually keep mine in the shower so that way I know I am protected. I have not had any issues. I tested it thoroughly before I gave any to a friend of mine. I kept the lid on when not using it, I left the lid off, etc. No issues. Still just as great as it was the first day I made it. I do not make cubes. It doesn't get hard enough for cubes to stick together, in my opinion. I don't like a hard scrub anyway. I like for it to be soft and fluffy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 am 

I tried making the recipe that Haven gave. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I first tried the 10 oz size listed and it worked out great, then when I went to make a larger batch, I guess I did something wrong. I used half almond oil and half sunflower oil instead of the jojoba...would that make a difference? I also left out the exfolient. Now the sugar scrub is crusty hard on the top and the oil is separating. Is there anything I can do to make it soft and soak up the oil? If I mix it up, it looks great, but then separates and gets crusty again. Maybe I miss measured somewhere, I have a scale that doesn't like me sometimes. Can I just add more sugar or more e-wax or more butter to get a better result out of this failed batch? Even super oily, this rinses off nicely in the shower, I was just hoping to give them away as gifts if I can fix it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:21 am 

You can try adding more e-wax a little at a time. What were your percentages? I didn't list them, did I? It doesn't really matter what oils you used, it's the e-wax that gets everything to combine and stay together. Make sure you know how much you are adding at a time. I would start with maybe 1g. Make notes so you know what you did. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:34 am 

You did list the amounts for your recipe, so I just multiplied the grams of each ingredient to make eight 10 oz. jars. I didn't think the oils were really the problem, but I wasn't sure. If I add more e-wax and get a good result, do I need to add more preservative?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:36 am 

You shouldn't need to add more preservative. I am not sure which preservative you use but if you get it too hot, you could compromise the effectiveness of the preservative. Just gently melt your e-wax and add it slowly. I would certainly test it to make sure that you don't need to add any more before you give it away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:39 am 

Thank you so much, I am glad I might be able to save this batch and if I cannot get that to work...I for sure will use it anyway at home...gotta love a sugar scrub right? And yes, I'll definately test it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 am 

You're welcome. I hope it works out for you. My last batch I accidentally added too much e-wax. I wasn't thinking and just started scooping it into the oils, I should have measured it out before dumping in the bowl. I went just one gram over and it made it harder than I like. I use it anyway. I love sugar scrubs. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 pm 

I would convert the whole recipe into grams. That way you will know a % of each and make a smaller or a bigger batch as needed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:41 am 

Ok, so I added 3 oz. more e-wax to my huge batch of this sugar scrub and the separation is gone, but it's still has the hard crust at the top even in the air tight jar. It's not any worse then it was before so that is good. Let me try to explain, it's hard to the touch at first, very hard but it's very soft underneath and is fluffy and light when mixed up and the crusty-ness goes away. Is that normal for sugar scrubs that are emulsified. Is that because it's brown sugar? I know everyone likes theirs a different consistancy, so that really makes it hard to decide. I just was hoping my friends wouldn't have to mix it everytime. Could I do the sugar cube trick with just adding melt and pour at this point. Maybe it's the way it's supposed to be and I just need to quit over analizing every thing about it and let my friends give me some feedback. Thanks for listening :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:09 am 

Mine also gets a little crusty on top but I just scoop it out with my fingers (again why I add preservative because water does get introduced) and the crustiness just goes away. Mine isn't too hard tough. Could be the difference in humidity or something, I don't really know. I am not sure about adding melt and pour. I tried to make sugar scrub cubes out of melt and pour and I couldn't get it. I didn't like the way it worked and felt like I was wasting a bunch of it. If I were you, I would just play with the percentages and ingredients until you come up with what you like. I suppose you could even do a little less shea butter and add the difference in oils. It is pretty much up to personal preference.

I just thought of something. If you want to make cubes, maybe add more shea butter and deduct the difference from your oils, then spoon into cube molds and pack it in really good. Let it harden (the way the top does in the jar) and turn out. I might try that once I get more shea. If you do it, let me know how that works. Or you might just try your recipe as it is now. I wouldn't waste a bunch of it in case it doesn't work out but maybe just try one cube to see how it goes. Good luck!