[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Lip balm tube duds?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lip balm tube duds?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:22 pm 

Hey, all,

I've been playing around with lip balms lately. Some of my finished tubes seem to be duds - I test each tube to see if the balm advances when the bottom is twisted, and out of 30 balms today, 6 did not advance. The twisty thing just kind of spun in my fingers.

Am I doing something wrong to cause this? I don't think I'm pouring too hot - I poured around 115 degrees. I let the balms set up for about an hour and fifteen minutes before testing them. Did I try them too soon?

If the balms do advance, is it safe to assume that the tube is okay?

Just wondering if I'm making a mistake, or if the tubes were duds to start with.

Thanks for any insights! :)

Post subject: Re: Lip balm tube duds?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:51 pm 

I would wait longer before testing. If the balms advance, I would say it's ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:23 am 

Thanks for the reply, soapbuddy. I'll let them set up longer next time before testing them out. How long should I let them set? Would a few hours do it, or overnight?

I hope that does the trick - I can't imagine that so many of my tubes are duds! It makes me obsessive about testing each one. I certainly don't want to give or sell anyone a tube of balm that won't advance.

I'm probably going to try another batch soon, so I'll post back here and let everyone know how it goes! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 am 

Depending which waxes you use, some of them need as much as 2 days to get the final texture. Are you making these as you go, or are you using a base or making your own? I usually make at least 1 lb. then use that as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 am 

Thanks, soapbuddy! For now, I'm using a base until I get more comfortable making balms. Maybe later I'll play around with some formulations of my own.

If I do start making my own, I like your idea of making a pound at a time. I guess you just pour it into a jar to set up and then scoop it out as needed? That's pretty clever and much easier than making lots of smaller batches! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:15 pm 

Aargh! I am supremely frustrated! :evil:

Okay, so I made another batch of balms yesterday using a lip balm base. I let the base cool to around 115 degrees again before pouring. I used a balm pouring tray, and, with a steady hand, I slowly poured the balm into each tube to reduce air pockets. I let the tray of balms sit for about three hours before I even took them out of the tray and cleaned the tops. I then capped them and left them alone for about 24 hours.

When I went to test them today to see if they advanced okay, 19 of the 33 were duds again (the final dud count from the previous batch turned out to be 20 out of 30 instead of 6 out of 30 - don't know why 14 of them seemed okay and then weren't). Most refused to advance at all (the twisty thing just spun in my fingers again), and a few did advance but separated from the plunger apparatus during retraction. (I didn't advance it all that far, either - just enough to make sure it worked.) I guess I could use balm pots instead of tubes, but I prefer tubes.

What am I doing wrong? Is it me, or is it my tubes?

I don't think I'm going to get into lip balms if they're going to cause me this much trouble and expense. Plus, I would worry about the product not performing as it should every time I sold one!

I'm interested in making lotions, too, but the potential for microbes and nasties has me freaked. Pfft, I think I'll just stick to soaping!

Any idea what the deal is with my balms? Thanks for any insights!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:59 pm 

I would contact the vendor where you purchased them from and see if anyone else has had the same problems as yours did. Is it possible that the balm is too soft?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:33 am 

Hi, soapbuddy. I have no idea what the problem is. I'm adding flavor oil and a sweetner oil at about 2%, but that's it (besides lip-safe mica). The base is actually pretty firm and waxy - that was why I liked it so much. I liked that it wasn't soft or mushy or grainy. Of the balms that did survive, the texture and consistency is good.

Lots of folks seem to like the vendor's tubes and balm base, judging by the reviews.

I'm stumped. After 24 hours, you would think the balms would be okay to use.

Oh, well. Just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Thanks for the replies, soapbuddy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:52 pm 

Sorry I wasn't more help. I would still contact the vendor and let them know what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:22 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:20 am 

I've never have never had that problem with my BB tubes nor have I ever let them sit any longer than the time to get solid, just a few minutes. Then what is left, mostly the spill on the tube tray, I scrape off and put into little pots. Tubes and post purchased from BB.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:21 am 

I've never have never had that problem with my BB tubes nor have I ever let them sit any longer than the time to get solid, just a few minutes. Then what is left, mostly the spill on the tube tray, I scrape off and put into little pots. Tubes and post purchased from BB.