[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Questions about fading in CP....

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:16 pm 

After reading the boards for some time now, and with my own experiences, I've not really had an issue with frags fading....but I'm curious - when someone says their frag just doesn't stick is this more of a subjective opinion or does the fragrance really disappear? And if they do completely disappear, does this occur quickly during cure or after?

Also, when a frag is deemed long-lasting, what do you personally consider to be long lasting?

Anyone's life truly consists of work, sunshine, exercise, soap, plenty of fresh air, and a happy contented spirit. - Lillie Langtry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:42 pm 

Quality FO's should not fade in soap. Some fragrances just do not work well in soap and should be used in other bath & body products. Scent is also very subjective. What someone might find light, another might find the soap too scented. For me, long lasting means it will last throughout the life of the soap. Also, some FO's need a higher, safe % so the scent lasts in the soap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm 

So true - it is so subjective. I recently gave some bars to a friend scented with NG Cappuccino; that FO faded within a few days after the soap was made - totally unscented (to my nose) by the time they were cured. The bars were several months old - I was anxious to unload them on somebody, primarily so I could justify making soap again after months of not making any! They smelled like...nothing.

Well - she JUST LOVED THEM! Could not stop raving about what she was able to smell - and I am sure she was not BSing me.

Go figure!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:11 am 

I like strongly scented soaps, or no scent in them. For scented soaps, I expect to be able to smell the scent reasonably well on the surface of the bars for 6-12 months. After fade, most will smell much stronger after they're first used since you're uncovering area that hasn't had as much evaporation as the surfaces.

It's hard to sell a bar to a customer if they can't smell the scent. What is the phrase? Color attracts, scent sells.

Scents that fade on the surface within 3 months, which is more common than you'd think, are failure scents in my opinion. I also find that many scents that fade quickly on the surface, hold little scent inside the bar as well.

Some scents will fade completely within 2-3 weeks, including after/during use. So the range of scent retention really varies. Given that scent is the most expensive ingredient in soaping, it's an important thing to research first. And that doesn't always help because people's perception of scent really is as subjective as others have said.