[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Is it "handmade"

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it "handmade"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:28 am 

I purchased a "handmade" soap over the weekend and love it. I am curious about some of the ingrediants though. It has the normal Coconut, Palm, Safflower Oils, Goats Milk, Purified Water and Sodium Hydroxide. Then it also has Glycerin, Sorbitol, Sorbitan oleate,and Soy Bean Protein. The later ingrediants puzzle me. i know there are people in this group who can shed light on this for me. Is it truly a handmade soap as the boutique claims??

Rhonda

Post subject: Re: Is it "handmade"
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:42 am 

It's MP. Many soapers refer to MP & CP as handmade. I prefer to call MP "handcrafted", but that's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:29 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm 

Yes cp/hp/cpop soaps, are all considered handmade. You put the lye into the fats and make the soap. With m&p, some company makes it for you, and you melt it and pour it into the mold. You may add some things to the mix (color, scent, up to 5% additives), but the base is premade for you. Kind of like heating a tv dinner. You can add some spices, but the dinner was made by the company.

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 pm 

If you wanted to use the cooking analogy, I'd consider CP and HP to be "made from scratch", and MP made from a mix.

:D

Anita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:27 am 

Thanks for the answers. I have only done CP so I wondered why they would add glycerine. So this answers that question.

Rhonda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:51 am 

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 pm 

:lol: Now you have me goin' "heat it up, eat it up, heat it up, eat it up!" :lol: You did it! I will be doing that all night long til I remember who said that. And in the end, it may have just been my Gramps! :lol: I actually got why you liked the mix comparison, and it works, but to MY tv dinners, I add, add, add! :lol: Maybe you just buy better tv dinners than me? :shock: :lol: :lol:

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 pm 

Pretty much, I just make my own tv dinners . . . for example, I made a huge lasagna and after it was done, I portioned it out and froze the portions. I make a couple dozen burgers at a time and freeze them. When the munchkin is hungry, it doesn't take long to fix something. And there are some nights when there just isn't time to cook so I take out a frozen dinner . . . heat it up and eat it up!

I agree with the "handcrafted" for MP and handmade for the rest. I just do the CP or rebatch. Someday I will figure out how to get CP soap out of the cute little silicone lamb mold and car mold I have. NOTHING seems to work. Should I be spraying with PAM?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:02 am 

Mineral oil is good to use on molds because it doesn't saponify.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:39 am 

I add some sodium lactate to the batches I am putting in those types of molds. You can also freeze them for a while and they usually pull from the sides, but that works better, especially for the more intricate molds, if you use mineral oil on the mold before hand or have the SL in the batch.

Tammy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:28 am 

You can also spritz the mold with dimethicone, which is a silicone oil. I've heard of people using food grade silicone spray from a hardware store though I haven't tried it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:24 pm 

I joined the world of CP after making one MP kit. I quickly came to the realization that MP is for that kind of soap that just look at but don't really use. You can make it to match those towels at your grandma's house that you just look at but don't use. I truly admire the artistry of some of the MP soaps I see on etsy. But for someone who wants more natural ingredients, less chemicals, more nourishing, gentle or clarifying formulas, then CP is the way to go. Now then, I'm so fascinated by the world of swirling and other artistic techniques I am seeing in CP. I've come to think of CP soap making as an art.

Reminder to Self: "Cut No Soap Before It's Time!"