[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Goat's milk soap and type of lye

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:37 am 

I want to try to make CP soap with goats milk. I have been using the lye from Brambleberry (I think it is flaked lye?). Somewhere I read that flaked lye isn't good to use with frozen/slushy milk, but that another form of lye should be used, perhaps it was pelleted. Has anyone used the lye from Brambleberry with frozen goats milk, and is there any problems with it?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 am 

I googled this question for you and didnt really find any answers I could give you. I am very new to soap makeing only 5, 1 pound batches under my belt and 1 of those was a bust. I have lye beads I found at a local hardware store that I am useing so I dont know about flakes. I think that if you used flakes or beads for frozen goats milk or other milks or creams as long as you stir very very well like you should always do with milks in my opnion as they can make it a bit difficult to see how well the lye is dissolved there should not be any issues. With water you can see the lye dissolve and the water clear up a bit but with milks not so much. Hopefully someone that has actual experiance will answer you soon. Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:07 am 

You are fine to use the lye from BB to make your soap. Lye flakes do weigh differently than lye beads. Which is one reason that we always instruct that you use weights to write and follow recipes. As long as you weigh your lye it doesn't matter which type you use, flake or beads.

Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:10 pm 

Just as long as it's sodium hydroxide, it should make no difference whether it's pellets or flakes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 pm 

Sorry my answer wasn't as complete as it should have been. I didn't stop to think that there are some who may not know that there are two types of lye, so thank you Irena for clarifying! :D

Tammy