[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - myteries of olive oil

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: myteries of olive oil
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 am 

So I went to safeway and looked at there oils no sunflower or coconut. They had more then 25 different brands or types of olive oil. Pure, classic and of course mostly extra virgin. No were did I see pomace olive oil. Is it a specialty or was it hiding in plane sight as regular or classic. ?? I must have read.the entire lable of ten different bottles but no were did I see pomace. Any help would be lovely. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:03 am 

We don't have safeway here, but I've never seen pomace olive oil in the stores here. Lots of EVOO.

I tried to google where you might get it locally, but all I found was stuff about it's toxicity. :roll:

I'm surprised that there's not sunflower oil though. Our local grocery stores have sunflower oil, hemp oil, avocado oil, pumpkinseed oil, grapeseed oil, etc. in the seasoning/baking sections.

As for coconut oil, I've found it near the popcorn section in some stores and in the beauty section in others.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 am 

If you have a restaurant supply near you, they may have the pomace and coconut oils.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:24 am 

Why pomace? Regular olive oil will work just as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm 

I was hopeing to get both becuase in all the reading I did on the diffrent oils , pomace olive oil was one of the ones that had some unsaponifble ( no idea if thats spelled right) oils as well as ones that would react with the lye. I figured if I used a little in the soaps they would be a little more moisterizeing because of that. I havent made soap yet. Just checking what I can get localy versus haveing to buy online. While the cost of the oils online are pretty cheap I dont plan on buying huge batches of oils so with shipping cost they are the same or higher then buying at the store if that makes any sense.
I plan on makeing a few 1 and 2 pound batches first to get the feel of it and becuase at least at first while IM learning the ropes I will be the only one useing the soaps and even a one pount batch will give 4 four ounce bars . And just 3 or 4 16 ounce bottles of oil and 2 pounds of lye will be enough to make any where between 25-35 or so big bars of soap , I can only use so much lol :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 pm 

Safeway is a UK chain. Try the Yellow Pages for bulk oil suppliers. Too expensive to use coconut oil bought at a health food store. You may find palm and red palm in an ethnic food store, for instance the shops in Parliament Street, Liverpool. Possibly coconut too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm 

Thank you everyone for the tips.
I had no Idea Safeway was in the UK to. I am in Oregon actually and live in a little town with little diversity so we dont have many healthfood ( ours is closeing down do to lack of busness ) or ethnic stores, I will check the little Hespanic mart we have to see if they have any specialty oils but I will guess the only oil I didnt find at the food store they might have would be lard , wich I have heard actually makes a wonderfull soap but alot of people are unwilling to use it becuase its an animal based product. I will aslo check our local fredmeyers , Kmart, and cash and carry for oils , safeway just happend to be where I had to pick up a few things today so I looked while I was there , they had Corn oil , canola oil , vegtible oil , 3 diffrent packages of crisco , many many many olive oils but no pomace , saffola ( spelling sorry) , and I think I saw some grapeseed oil and peanut oils as well but I thought they had a shorter shelf life. Just on the look out to find all the oils I have avalible to me in my area. I am transferring my mild obssesion to incubating hatching and raiseing chicks to makeing household products as I cant have my chickies any more :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:53 pm 

Technically, soap is not mosturizing. It doesn't stay on the skin long enough to add any moisture. What it does is clean without stripping the skin. Pomace is not any more "moisturizing" then say coconut or palm in soap. This is when superfatting comes into play. Superfat at about 7% and you should have a nice mild bar of soap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:10 pm 

Thank you soapbuddy, your one of my major go to s for soap knowlege. Im still learning so hopefully I dont sound to dumb. I know there is tons of stuff posted everywhere but I try to stick with a few people and sites I think are reputble as anyone with a computer can post anything they like and its not always the right information. I always run a soap recipie I find and like thru a calculater as well to make sure and find that quite a few the lye and water are a little diffrent , I dont know if some people round up or down or if some numbers get misplaced in the writeing process.
I am absulutely dyeing to get to actually makeing soap but I am makeing myself wait till I have read and watched enough what I feel is good information first befor trying it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:25 pm 

Good for you Gabrielle. I'm glad you are doing your research first without just jumping in not knowing. And you're welcome. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm 

Gabrielle, I use EVOO and pomace (whichever is cheapest!) and I can't tell any difference between them in the finished product. Use what you can get for the least amount of money. Just be aware that sometimes pomace has been known to speed up trace. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:45 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 am 

Funny thing. When I first ordered my oils form BB I ordered regular olive oil and all was well. Then I reordered and accidentally got Pomace. I didn't notice a difference at first, but with my last few batches I can tell it is hitting trace much faster. Not a big deal. I will still use it up, but I think that in the future I will stick to the regular olive oil as a preference.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:10 pm 

Do you have a Costco around? I know Oregon a little, mostly Eugene. I use the cheapest OO from Costco and it works out great. If you can get your hands on olive oil and coconut oil locally, you can make soap with just those two oils.

I have been making soap about 8 months. I was overwhelmed by all the "foo foo" oils! I prefer the term "high falutin'"!!! But..in 8 months, all I have used are: Olive, Palm, Coconut, Castor, Shea Butter, Lard.

That's 6 oils - and when I run out of palm, I will stop using that due to my dislike of having to melt the whole thing down to be sure the fatty acids distribute evenly. Then I'll be down to 5 oils. When my big jug of castor oil runs out...we'll see if I want to reduce further to 4 oils.

Like SoapBuddy said - soap washes off. No point in putting too much $$$$ into high-falutin' oils. Save your money for fragrance and color! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm