[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - re : soy and wax

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: re : soy and wax
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:21 am 

What are the advantages of soy as opposed to the wax type in candlemaking? How do they differ from one another?

Post subject: Re: re : soy and wax
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:23 pm 

Depending on which other waxes you are talking about, soy wax is generally softer, ideal for tins and glass jars. Palm wax works generally better as a pillar wax. There are many other types of waxes available, including wax blends, depending what you want to use it for.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:13 pm 

I wanted to use the wax to make pillars. Are the scents for soy different from regular wax? The genwax.com has another list of scents for soy only, maybe i should call them to get more info. Where do you purchase your candle supplies? There are a lot of sights and i have been checking on kits and prices. Candlewic, peakcandles are one of them. I live in cali an hour away from the Genwax supplier but too much traffic. I think i will order online. Could you share your suppliers with me?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:32 pm 

If you want to make soy wax pillars, you will need a soy wax blend that will support its structure. Regular soy wax would be too soft for pillars. Not all candle fragrances will work for soy. It's best if you can find a supplier that has tested their fragrances for soy. Take a look on this web site. Their fragrances are made for soy and they give you test results for soy candles right next to the fragrance. http://www.candlesoylutions.com/thumbna ... ep=1&cid=8
I haven't ordered from Genwax for a while. I don't remember which of their fragrances worked well with soy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:23 pm 

Thanks! Can you please refresh my memory again on what i need to make pillars. I will be needing wax, wicks, metal mold, scent, dye. I already have a melting pot and thermometer. I wanted to ask you, i kinda forgot how to make candles. Its been years. I remember using a putty to block the wax from spilling from metal mold. But i forgot if i need a washer and what the washer is for. Is it necessary for me to use a spray for easy release or is there an additivie aside from vibar that i can use? Thank you so much for your replies!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:41 pm 

I don't use a washer for the hole in the bottom of the metal mold. For me, just putty works fine. The best way to figure out how the candle will burn is to try different wicks with the same color and fragrance. A lot of candle suppliers sell a sampler pack. You will find that you might need to wick up (or down) depending on the fragrance and color. If I let me candles cool off slowly, I find I don't need a easy release spray. I do use a UV inhibitor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:06 am 

Have you ever ordered from candlesoysolutions. Their website does not seem to have a customer service number. How do you follow up or get intouch with them for any questions? They have a good deal on the soy candle kit. Only $39.00 per kit. I just dont know if it comes with the warning label and dye coz it doesnt say on the description. I sent them an email, hopefully i hear back from them so i can place my order right away. Where else do you get your candlemaking supplies aside from candlesoy? Genwax has inexpensive soy wax but the jars are pricey. I look forward to reading your replies and i will be waiting.....