[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Shrink Wrapping Melt and Pour soaps

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:04 pm 

I have had to shrink wrap some MP soaps, while I have not had to on others, go figure! I see that a lot of people shrink wrap their soaps well so that it looks like what you would buy in a store, how do people do that? When I do it, it looks nothing like that, am I supposed to buy a certain size or type?

Sonya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:08 pm 

shrink wrap helps with dew and other stuff. I saran wrap in the beginning but I now have a shrink wrapping system which to me is better. Soap Queen always wraps her M&P soaps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:01 pm 

I shrink wrap as soon as they're ready. Another supplier offers 4x6 shrink wrap bags, and I just cut off the excess at the end, tape with satin tape (it disappears), and hit it with my hair dryer. The heat gun was a little bit TOO much heat for those bags.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 am 

I use saran wrap on mine. Pull it tight around, trim up the ends in the back and hit it with the heat gun, but you have to move your heat gun quick or you'll melt the plastic :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:47 pm 

My MP soaps are done with shrink bags, heat sealer and a heat gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:56 am 

I just get the shrinkable basket bags from the $1 store and cut little squares to fit the particular soap, then hit it with a hair dryer. I know the heat gun is supposed to be better, but this is just a casual hobby for me so I don't care that much.

Only problem is that shrink wrapping has melted the corners of my soaps pretty much every time. Its not such a problem with round soaps obviously, but its a big problem with square or rectangle soaps. I couldn't even shrink wrap on my "golfing man" soaps i made for fathers day because the edges of those soaps have a delicate line of different color all around the circumference, which immediately melted and became ruined from applying the hair dryer. Bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:11 pm 

I was able to get a heat gun at Walmart for $25. To me, it's worth it, even though I don't sell a tremendous amount of soap. I just don't have the patience to mess around with a hair dryer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 pm 

Oh thanks for the info MelissaBrown and Ariagirl 77, I didn't know a heat gun would actually save my soaps from melting because you only apply it in short bursts. Now I might just run out to Walmart to get one since I'm about to start wrapping my wedding soap favors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 am 

My heat gun is older, so maybe it gets hotter or something. It melted every bag I used it on. I finally gave up because it was causing me double the work.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 am 

My heat gun has a high and a low setting - that saves your soap and your fingers!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:39 am 

Or just order cello bags from a packaging distributor, dump them in, put a nice shiny colored twist tie on it, or fold the excess over and use a glue dot to hold it down, or company sticker, etc. It looks great and it's even easier than screwing around with shrink wrap. There are shrink wrap systems you can do multiple bars at once but they're pricey and not worth it unless you're moving a lot of product. I'll see if I can post a few pics of mine to show you what I mean.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:50 pm 

I used to use shrink wrap bags combined with my heat sealer and heat gun but I recently switched to BrambleBerry shrink wrap bags.

Let's just say that company really got on my bad side...

But the shrink wraps from BrambleBerry is great and I don't have to go the extra step of the heat sealer! :D

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:30 pm 

If the shrink wrap melted too much, here are some possibilities. What you have is a lower gauge shrink wrap, which can melt, grow holes or shrink unevenly. I prefer a heat gun. When you use it, you need to keep moving it. If you stay in one place too long, it will melt or develop a hole.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:53 pm 

k