[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Shaving Soap! I did it!!!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:55 pm 

Hi Everyone,
YES! I DID IT!!!!! I made the shaving soap for my former husband as a birthday gift! It looks like I will remain his former wife after he sees this!

It thickened very quickly. I put it back in the microwave to melt it a little more so I could pour it.
I bought some cheap round molds on eBay - not worth it! They weren't even level! I had to balance them underneath with spoons. The shaving soap seemed to get a thick foam on the top.
I sprayed & sprayed w/ alcohol! It looks like it curdled!

I used an electric single beater (mixer) to stir in the essential oils and the clay. It just got thicker. This was a beater like a beater used to mix a milkshake, similar to the one used in Ann-Marie's videos but larger.

On a more positive note! I had so much FUN!!! :P The shaving soap smells so good! I want to grow a beard so I can start shaving! :P

Any ideas!
Thanks everyone,
einnoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:08 pm 

Sounds like the beater whipped too much air into it. I hope it comes out for you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:37 pm 

Soapbuddy, I think the beater whipped too much air into it, too. Did I do the right thing by putting it back into the microwave; so I could pour it?

It looks clear on the bottom of the mold and is about 1/4" white on the top. It looks like layers! Does that mean it didn't mix properly? It doesn't appear to have any air bubbles in it now. It smells wonderful, so I don't think I burned it. I didn't smell any bad smells. This was the first time I used the microwave to melt the base. I think I better stick with the double boiler. I feel like I have more control over the melting process.

Thanks,
einnoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:44 pm 

As the soap cool off, the air bubbles will come up to the top. The white that you see are the bubbles that came to the surface and stayed there. Next time use a fork or something similar to mix the scent and clay into it. You don't need an electric mixer for MP.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:07 pm 

Thanks, Soapbuddy. I thought I would need a mixer because I heard of when the oils don't mix or the clay clumbs. The little beater BB sells, is that used in M&P?
I thought if clear base looks cloudy that sometimes that means it needs to be mixed more. Is this right?
einnoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:36 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:44 pm 

Thanks, Soapbuddy. this is such valuable information. I'm learning! :P
The base was the clear avocado cucumber, now it's white on the top. The pictures of the recipe show the final soap as white.
einnoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:53 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:52 pm 

Hi,
I never imagined Rosemary and Lime EOs mixed together could smell so wonderful - a very light, but definately a masculine shaving scent!
I'm going to try again tomorrow. The cumcumber-avocado base is nice.

Is there a way to make these plastic candy/soap molds more flexible, maybe soaking them in hot water first? I don't know if I will use them again. It was even difficult to get the soap out. I wrapped the soap in seran wrap immediately after I took it out. Should I have let it sit out in the open over night and then wrap it tomorrow?

Thanks,
einnoc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 pm 

Try the freezer for about 10 minutes for those molds. If it's humid where you are it's best to wrap the soap up right away.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:47 am 

Hi Everyone,
Well I tried again today! This batch of shaving soap came out better. I mixed the clay in the glycerin first.
Maybe I didn't add enough glycerin or it sat too long while I was microwaving the base. The glycerin and the clay
were gooey and I had a difficult time scrapping the mixture out of the glass bowl.
I mixed it into the melted base with a fork and stirred. Bubbles were still a problem.
I poured it this time in a plastic 3" tube. I really don't like this cheap plastic.
It looks like there is still some clay clumps on the top. I microwaved everything again for 10 seconds; so I could pour it into the tube mold.
I sprizted it with alcohol, but there still seems to be a layer of some kind on the top. It's still setting.

I wonder if mixing the clay with alcohol or using more glycerin and not preparing the glycerin & clay beforehand would help. Should the glycerin or the alcohol make a soupy mixture or gooey? It didn't look like a slushy. It was gooey. Which is better the glycerin or the alcohol?

On the whole, I think it's better! :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 am 

We would love to see a pic of your new creations!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am 

Thank you, mella
Actually, I just removed the soap from the mold. It looks really good! I took some pictures and I will post them!
Here it is! YAY!!! Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and answering my many questions!
einnoc

Attachments:
shaving soap.jpg
shaving soap.jpg [ 11.09 KiB | Viewed 5168 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:01 pm 

Very nice, einnoc! I like the wavy cut. And Rosemary and Lime is a really great combination! Good job! :)