[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Pigments staining?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pigments staining?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 am 

Hi, all!

I recently used a red powdered pigment oxide in a loaf of M&P soap. I mixed the pigment with some rubbing alcohol first to make a slurry and work out clumps, and then added it to the melted base.

When I tested a sliver from the loaf, the lather was a bit pinkish and it appeared to leave red smudges on a washcloth. ("Oh, no!") The smudges rinsed out easily with some water, though.

Has this been everybody else's experience? Will pigments sometimes appear to stain, but not really stain? Is the staining ever permanent?

While we're on topic, has anyone noticed certain micas fading in M&P soap?

Thanks for any insights! :D

Post subject: Re: Pigments staining?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:54 am 

IMO yes, pigments act that way for me. I tend to use pigments exclusively as I like distinct lines in my soap and won't put up with bleeding or fading. If you use way too much pigment you may get a very thin film on your bath, I don't have this problem but I do like strong color. Oxides are pretty strong, so you may have a crayon strength color if you are having staining. Perhaps cut back on the color in your next soap and check the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 pm 

Some colours will appear to rub off on a washcloth or sponge but as long as the bubbles aren't coloured, its ok. I find reds can be the colours that do this the most. However, they completely wash off the cloth/sponge and certainly never discolour the bath/shower. It could be your using a little bit too much colour, use a tiny bit less next time and see. I've just ordered some oxides/ultramarines too as I cannot stand when colours bleed (my soaps always have some white in them)... not used them before.

For those that have used them, how much would you use for kg of soap?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:22 pm 

Thanks for the replies, Goldenearthgirl and Honey.

I didn't think I used too much pigment, but it sounds like maybe I did. :oops: I'll try less next time. I guess a dab'll really do ya. It's scared me off a bit, though -- I was going to use the same red oxide powder in another loaf soap. Hate to make another loaf just to have the same problem. Maybe I'll go another route and experiment later. The brick red oxide gave me that deep red, though, that I can never seem to get with the non-bleeding red liquid. I guess red glitter will help in the meantime.

I was originally planning to sell this soap at a craft fair, but I don't know if I should now. I will probably call this a learning experience and use it in my own shower. I'd hate for anyone to be unpleasantly surprised, even if it does rinse out. I hesitate to sell anything I don't feel 100% good about.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:40 pm 

Red is difficult to get without bleeding. Be careful with the red glitter. It could be scratchy. Have you tried red mica instead?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:15 am 

Thanks, Soapbuddy for all of the suggestions. Sorry I've been rather absent lately -- I've been crazy busy this week getting ready for a craft fair (my first one!).

I ended up using the merlot sparkle mica for my second peppermint loaf. It's not quite the bright candy-cane-red I wanted, but it's close and I'm happy with it:

I am still a bit nervous around pigments with that smudging issue, especially with bold colors like red and black. Even if it's not permanent, it's still a little freaky. I know lots of soapers really like oxides, though, and will only use them. I will play around with them now that I can afford to experiment a bit!

Thanks again, everybody! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:19 pm 

Looks good! Good luck on your market!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:57 am 

That looks lovely!! It's so cute, I really like it!

I tried some oxides and pigments at the weekend but no demoulded it as yet - may try and cut tonight (have cutting issues at present) and try a spare piece and see how it goes.. so hope it's not bleed but I've been assured by my supplier it's a non-bleeder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 am 

Aww, thanks for the compliments, you guys! :D

Honey, I'd be curious to know how your washcloth test goes, especially if you're using reds or blacks or those kind of strong colors. It's a bummer to make a smudgy batch. I hope it goes well for you!