[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Making various M&P soap base…..

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 am 

I have a question to which i have been trying to find an answer for awhile now with no luck!

I want to make melt and pour soap base of various kinds- (goats milk, cucumber, shea butter) so that i can melt it down and use it for making other types of exotic soaps.

My question is, do i make a simple clear glycerine soap base and add these extra's to it (goats milk, shea butter etc) to make a melt and pour base of this kind?

Are melt & pour base soaps made hot process only or can a cold process soap be melted down too?

There are many recipes for goats milk soap or cucumber soap but would it be possible to use these as a base?

I am struggling to find a goats milk melt and pour base recipe, a cucumber melt and pour base and a shea butter melt and pour base..

I would be so grateful if you can answer these questions for me..

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:14 pm 

Welcome!
Making MP from scratch is an advanced soap project that's time consuming. It is not advised to add any milk, fruit or vegetable to it once made as it can go moldy. Shea butter or mango butter can be added in a small amount, otherwise it can minimize bubbles. BrambleBerry sells some already made MP bases. Take a look: http://www.brambleberry.com/Bases-Melt-Pour--C151.aspx

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:19 am 

I'm ok with time consuming recipes…. it's the outcome that makes it all worth while!
I made some clear glycerine M&P soap base, which was excellent!! Took me about 2hrs…? probably didn't need to, but being a novice….

I got this from : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHS1V8HIwoE

I'm really interested to know how to make goats milk M&P, shea butter M&P and cucumber M&P base…..

Anyone link me to online recipes????

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:18 am 

For the shea butter soap base, it would be quite simple. Just replace some of your other oils with shea butter.

As for the cucumber, maybe replace some of your water with pureed cucumber. Same with the goat milk. I really have no idea if you'll need a preservative.

My MP base I make is a combo of only water, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil & avocado oil. I really love how less drying it is than most premade MP base I've tried.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:45 am 

Thanks Genny, thats really useful!

I'll have ago.
Time to experiment…..