[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Vegan Soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vegan Soap
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:51 am 

Still a beginner, but learning fast thanks to great info here, videos and blogs... a couple of questions I haven't found and maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

Are there "tried & true" substitutes for milk and honey?
Are there any known stealth ingredients (bases or additives) that a newbie might not pick up on? I'm lactose intolerant so well used to reading labels, but might miss something :)

This week I did the gardener soap kit and had great results. The middle layer is goat milk, a no go for vegans. The obvious replacement is white base and with all the other yummy ingredients in the other layers, there might be little difference. But, goat milk is used in the recipe for a reason, so I'm wondering if there's something that would get similar results. I haven't tried any recipes with honey yet, but woud appreciate any tips on replacing it, too.

thanks much!

Kathy

Post subject: Re: Vegan Soap
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:15 am 

Substitutes for milk & honey? Not really. I'm thinking coconut milk, but since you're doing Melt & Pour, that's a no-go.

Also, are you lactose intolerant or allergic to milk? Also, is it just cows milk or goat milk as well? I've got 1 child who's allergic to the proteins in cow milk, so she gets an allergic reaction from any products that contain cow milk. She has no problems with anything with goat milk in it. That's actually what she drinks.
I've got 1 more kid who's lactose intolerant. She just can't drink cow milk or eat most foods that contain large amounts of cow milk. But since lactose intolerance is a digestion problem, she has no skin reaction from it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:01 am 

Hi Genny,

shoulda been clearer... the vegan substitutes aren't for me, but for a family member. I'm just used to looking for milk ingredients because I have an intolerance and yes it's digestive and no issues for skin. My vegan cousin is a fabulous cook so I've learned a lot of the good substitutes for eating dairy free... but as you point out, food and soap don't necessarily play well together.

And, shoulda said milk OR honey :) My first challenge is only a substitute for goat milk in a specific recipe and still being new at this, learning the properties of various substances is probably what I'll have to experiment with. The powdered clays look interesting, but not sure how they react or work with other ingredients.

Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 am 

A little clay will give you a little bit of slip in MP, but too much can be a little drying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:07 am 

Quality Melt n' Pour base is best used as is. There is a honey base, but that's not vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 pm 

thanks much for the tips... tried a small batch with white base and I can feel a little difference, but not enuf to worry over.
Kathy