[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Grainy shea... hoped to never have had to discuss this :)

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:32 am 

I was expecting to encounter grainy shea on my first foray into body butter but I thought the graininess came from the heating and cooling portion. I didn't melt the shea, just whipped and got the grains. When I DID melt the shea, I didn't get them.

I know there's a lot of theories on graininess... what works for everyone else??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:37 am 

When I whip my Shea butter (not heated) I find if I don't whip it long enough I get little bits that are unwhipped making it feel a little grainy. I usually whip my from 10-20 min stopping my mixer every few minutes to scrap the sides and bottom. Then I throw in the rest of my ingredients. I usually get little to no lumps then. I have read somewhere that if you melt it a little to where it's not fully melted but just has a thick and creamy consistency and whip it as it cools that it prevents the unwhipped lumps but I have had yet to try it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 am 

I always heat mine up until melted, add the other ingredients and then whip as it cools. I have not had a problem with it being grainy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 am 

A-M suggested that if you melt it at all, as soon as its whipped, you put it in the freezer to "set" the texture. It seems to work. It may help to freeze even with no melting.

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries