[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Someone wants to buy my lotion in a 'bulk tub'

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 am 

I have a lady that buys some of my soaps to sell in her 'farm shed' - it's like a mixed boutique of handmade items. She's been asking me for some of my goat's milk lotion for a while, and it's now at a stage I feel comfortable having her test some out. BUT, she doesn't want to buy it already bottled... she wants to buy it in a bulk 'tub/bucket'. IE I make up 1 kilo and send it across in a 1 kilo plastic bucket so they can then bottle it over there.

My concern with this is contamination. I obviously can't control if they are using sterile/sanitised equipment to divide it up into bottles, etc. What is my risk here? Do I just inform them that they need to, but once it leaves me hands it is no longer under my control and if issues arise they will need to take ownership? I thought everything comes back to me in the end?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:28 am 

Hmmm :? I think I'd be a bit worried too!

I'm assuming they intend to put their own label on what they sell? ie. no credit to you, but I bet if something goes 'wrong' you'll get the finger pointed real fast! :evil:

You'll have to weigh it up, is a kg of lotion sales worth losing control over your product? Do you intend to grow your business according to 'your rules' (the direction YOU want to go) or always try & please the customer (sometimes to your cost?) :shock: (I don't mean customers aren't important!) :D

If you are not comfortable with the idea (sterility etc) just don't do it! Listen to your gut :D (& that's my 2 cents!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:06 am 

I'm not sure about the states but in Europe,you're responsible for what you sell and not what the customer does. So if you've microbiological test results for each batch you carry, you should be comfortable and satisfied keeping a sample of each batch that lady takes and archiving the test result. Of course as long as she puts her own label on the package. Even if something goes wrong, you've your results and your own sample for a comparison. But the deal should be too attractive to be the whole worry worth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:24 am 

Apart from the other notes above, there may be a problem in getting it into the final containers. I pour at 50C because at that temperature the viscosity is reduced and it ends up looking 100% professional. But reheating the product may burn it or degrade active ingredients if not done properly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am 

I'm agreeing with Rochy...Personally, I would not be happy doing this and the risks aren't worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm 

I would be leery as well. I don't know the rules and regs in your country, but if something happens you could be held responsible. What if she uses unsanitized spoon to transfer the lotion into her bottles? What if the bottles are dirty? What if someone puts their dirty hand or fingers straight into the container to "test" it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:00 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:01 pm 

LOL! We posted at the same time Soapbuddy, and said pretty much the exact same things. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:29 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:51 pm 

I know!! And I can only make small batches at a time. It takes ten times as long to get ready to make it as it does to actually make it!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:20 pm 

I would say no, for all the reasons mentioned above. The viscosity and sanitation issues alone are reason enough. I know that a lot of suppliers sell lotion base, but when you're making small batches out of your home it's just not worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:50 pm 

Ok... so how do I say no? They already buy a small amount of my soaps wholesale, and while it's small orders, it does still help the bank account a little bit. Don't want to upset them...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:08 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:16 pm 

Aaah, good thinking 99!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 pm 

NEXT question... they want to put their own labels on the bottles. I would assume that they will also conveniently forget to make mention of who made the lotion...

What is your personal opinion on this? Having someone else selling a product that isn't labelled with your name?

It occurred to me today that they are probably already doing that with my soaps since they are sent over either unwrapped, or if they are wrapped, it's just in a small soap box. And being in another state, there is no way of me being able to police if they are using and/or keeping my labels...