[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - shampoo formula from PC Magazine

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:22 pm 

This is one I found in Personal Care Magazine. I just tried it. Excellent! Someone did a pretty good job on this.

Plantacare 1200UP = lauryl glucoside. I used Plantapon LGC sorb, a close match. 4%
Water 63%
SLS (I used ALS, don't like SLS) 3%
sodium cocoamphoacetate (Dehyton G or equiv.) 18%
cocoamidopropyl betaine 9%
perfume Q/S typically 1%
sodium benzoate 0.5%
citric acid anhydrous 0.75%
ANTL soft SC (sorbitan sesquicaprylate) 0.3% **

Now, I don't have any of that last item ** but it is just a thickener, so I substituted 0.3% of Glucamate VLT. You could use Crothix liquid.

Results:
I made 300 mL of this quite quickly. Prior to adding the citric acid the pH was 8.0 and it was quite thin. Immediately I added the citric, the mixture thickened a LOT. Final pH was 6.0

I tried it as a hand soap and it was too concentrated. Didn't foam properly. Diluted 50% it was excellent. I need to do a bit of work on it to find the correct amount of water. Probably I need to add at least 25% more water and maybe increase the % of Glucamate to maintain thickness; at the moment it is too thick anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:50 pm 

Looks interesting! Too bad I don't have all the ingredients. Happi magazine has similar formulas each month.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:01 pm 

I put some, diluted with 25% more water, in a shower dispenser style bottle and took it to the bathroom. I'll try it by comparison to my own CP soap and let you know. For a commercial product I'd add more goodies, like panthenol, and glycerine for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:06 pm 

How thick is it with 25% more water? Any idea on the pH with the extra water?