[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - NG Green Irish Tweed

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: NG Green Irish Tweed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

Anyone else tried this. I soaped with it on Sunday and it hit trace in about 3 seconds and moved really quick. I picked it because the site said no acceleration and swirls were easy. My first attempt at a manly soap but I still wanted swirls (manly swirls). I threw it into hyper drive and got it glopped in the mold and swirled anyway, then banged it on the counter a ton to get rid of the bubbles. Seemed fine and didn't look like it was gelling but then in about 3 hrs I got a crack on top and threw it into the freezer to stop it from becoming a volcano. The crack goes down the center but it's not too deep. It was set and unmolded in about 12 hrs. I waited to cut it but I really didn't have to I just ran out of energy by the time I finally got he kids to bed. It doesn't zap and it's swirled (although not as nice as I had hoped for) so I'm calling it a success but it was a fight all the way through. I used the same recipe and temps I've been using for the last 6 batches and they didn't accelerate like this on me. Maybe the gremlins?

Oh and it smells nice, very fresh. Man friendly but I'd use it too!

Post subject: Re: NG Green Irish Tweed
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:42 pm 

I've used it a few times & never had any problems, but I'm a room-temp soaper & my recipes contain a large percent of olive oil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:03 pm 

I soap at a low temp too. About 100 degrees for both oils and lye water. Mostly because that's about the longest I can wait for them to cool. :) Usually I put my lye water in an ice water bath to cool it quicker. This time I left it on the porch off of my kitchen for a bit in the snow. My recipe is 30% Olive Oil, I'll try this one again though. I only made 3lbs and everyone who walks into the house likes the smell and is calling dibs on the bars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 am 

Hmm...that's weird. I guess the gremlins are just with you right now.
You need a talisman to hang above your soaping area to keep those nasty gremlins away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:10 pm 

I actually just soaped with this the other day, and it was great. I soaped at around 120 degrees, and used charcoal and mica to swirl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 am 

I used it a few weeks back and didn't have any problems at alll . I am not crazy about the scent though. i think I like something like Drakkar better for a man scent. It sort of smellled like Zest soap.

The Lord is my Shepard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:45 pm 

Gremlins are after me now. I soaped with it tonight ( a recipe I've done many times) and I almost had soap on a stick. I like the scent. I'm going to have to try it again. I had it all figured out, black, green, lime and white (hanger swirl)...now I just have black, green, lime and white layers........ugh. All the reviews said it soaped like a dream, no problem whatsoever....... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 am 

Well, I thought I'd give this fragrance the benefit of the doubt (since I have discovered while I was measuring out the oils for the 2nd batch with this fragrance, that the oil weight was not correct on the first batch and that would have made the batch seize).

Well, I did the exact same recipe, soaped at 105 and as soon as I got trace..BAM. I managed to get the colors in ( I was trying to do a 4 color swirl) and spooned/plopped in the mold and MAY have something that is half way decent in the end. :x Hopefully!

I should have done a 2 lb loaf the second batch....but silly me......thinking that it was because I didn't measure the oils correctly and everyone said this fragrance "soaped like a dream", I'd go ahead and do another 5 pound batch.

Oh, well. Live and learn. It does smell good, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:28 pm 

I would soap at full water and with your oils and lye being at 120 or higher (but within 5 degrees of each other) when trying any new recipe or new fo. Whenever most people have issues with a fo that works well for others, it is almost always related to recipe and/or temp. Since your recipe is one that you have used without issue before, I'd not soap so cool and see what that does. The cracking is because it overheated, so don't insulate (more than putting in a wood mold next time). So no covering or wrapping in a towel next time and there should not be any cracks. And you didn't need to worry about the volcano thing, cracking is just not aesthetically pleasing, but it doesn't lead to a volcano
Don't give up if you like the scent, just try it again! :)

Tammy