[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Horror Story

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Horror Story
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:08 am 

I was recently at a craft/vendor market... the table beside me, sold EO...and was mixing them up in water for "disorders" ppl would disclose to them. EO are often NOT to be taken internally. THese ppl didn't even know how much to blend, they were reading "recipes" and mixing up. If the person had it extra bad, they would add an extra drop or 10. it was "guaranteed" to cure them! Most was for weight loss, gas, headaches and so on. They even said the company had several reviews for curing Cancer. This companies EO were ALL meant to be taken internally. Several they listed, were NOT for consumption! But they were just processed to be safe a different way when I called them on it. Doing my own research, no matter how they are processed, EO is EO and not always safe!

I just don't get it. Yes, there are some situations natural can cure... but more often than not, those situations are very much exaggerated.

I am so sorry this man opted to put his trust in his wife and her EO's. Cancer is not something to take lightly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:47 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:56 pm 

Its one of those new "supplement" companies that sell "special oils" It was dangerous, and I did discourage many people from trying what they were giving out. Just because some company states its safe, does not make it so. They were HARD pushers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:36 pm 

I was at a holiday party a couple weeks ago and a lady had some of these "essential oil capsules" that she was passing out for people to try. When I asked about what exactly they were, she wasn't able to give me a good answer. I pointed out to her that essential oils are not meant to be used undiluted, let alone internally, and she got all huffy. Saying that she had been taking them for however long and nothing bad had happened to her. She did put them away once I asked if she was willing and prepared to pay the medical bills of anyone who might have an adverse reaction. I still can't get over how willing people were to ingest something that someone else says might be good for them, without any research on their own.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:51 pm 

Even fragrance oils come with warnings that direct contact on skin can cause rashes and other bad reactions! Just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it's still just a plant! :?

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:07 pm 

I went to the business meeting of the vendors that I am going to be working alongside when my space in the crafters mall is complete. It was great until the end when the one who organizes the meeting started telling people how she is a distributor for DT essential oils and telling them about how they "cured" her husbands plantar fasciitis pain. Then she looked at me and asked if I'd heard of DT. I could barely keep the distain out of my voice when I said I had indeed heard of them. She asked if I used them and I said no, I get mine from a reputable source. She said, "Oh, you must use YL oils!". I bit my tongue so hard it hurts! I just said no and changed the subject.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:45 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:18 pm 

Update. He passed on Christmas Eve morning. The doctors and everyone else were in shock that he kept going so long, and it wasn't exactly quality time. The cancer kept eroding blood vessels so he'd have to go to the hospital get sewn up, and sent back home, and repeat. Sometimes he'd have two round trips in one day. It finally hit a major vessel and that was the end. You may be thinking, "Why didn't they just keep him IN the hospital?" Because the Obamacare-compliant insurance policy wouldn't allow it.

It gets better. A few days after he passed, Wife was back to peddling her magical EO witch's brew on social media, complete with instructions on how to take them internally. There's no point trying to talk to sense to her because she simply won't hear it. It's frightening to me how many people have bought into this nonsense and how completely they believe in it. These are supposedly educated people who have at least a passing acquaintance with basic science, but I guess they're so desperate for miracles they blow off real medicine and real science in favor of some MLM scheme. Funny how many of these same people, Wife included, are quick to blame business for every social ill in the world, but they'll literally hang their lives on the promises of an MLM pitch. It's uncanny.

After reading A-M's links from the FDA, I just pray that this stuff gets shut down sooner rather than later. I'd also like to see craft show organizers take a stand and ban people who peddle EOs as medical wonder cures and who also advocate direct skin contact and internal use of EOs. At what point does an organizer have liability for damage done to customers by an EO peddler? I suppose the same can be said for any personal care product, but a temporary rash from soap or lotion isn't quite the same as a burned esophagus or death.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:26 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:20 am 

Thank you for the update. That is so sad and horrific...

I have a friend that started selling YL oils about 18 months ago. We talked and I sent her all kinds of links about EO safety. At first she was really good about not recommending cure-alls, but for the past 6 months or so I've seen all kinds of stuff on her page that makes me cringe. I finally just unfriended her. I couldn't stand reading anything else. The worst part is she has two young boys and has been using neat EOs on them. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:11 pm 

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I was at a craft fair and this woman was asking me if I used fragrance oils or essential oils in my soap and I said I used both. She scoffed and said fragrance oils are really bad for you! Then I told her I was allergic to coconut oil so I mostly make olive oil soaps. Her response: "but coconut oil is so natural!" (As if peanuts that many people are allergic to aren't) As a chemist with a bachelors degree I can tell you that there are a lot of misinformed people and I'm sorry to hear that someone was so hurt by all of this misinformation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:06 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 am