[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Disappointing scent

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Disappointing scent
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 am 

I have accumulated quite a few scents. Since I can't smell them before ordering I have to go by the description. I have several that I haven't used because I don't care for them out of the bottle. I have read several times that you really have to use them to know what they will smell like. Well, I decided to use one of them to see if it was a hidden winner. No way! The scent was Saffron and Honey. It doesn't smell like real honey but an odd imitation of honey. The only good thing is that it is a light scent, it was easy to work with and my bars are beautiful. I hope some of my family will like this better than I do.

MaryLou

Post subject: Re: Disappointing scent
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:49 am 

I have some scents like that, too. They might not be good on their own, but some of them blend beautifully with other FOs or EOs. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 pm 

Chances are that at least some of your family and friends will like it! Because our sense of smell is so subjective. I have had many customers, family members and friends absolutely adore a fragrance that I thought smelled like cat pee! :lol:

Also, blending is so much fun, give it a try!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 am 

I'm trying to bring myself to at least tolerate the scent of thyme EO enough to use it. When I can get around to it, I'd like to blend it w/a few other herbal EOs like dalmation sage & lavender to create an earthy type soap. I like the scent of the thyme seasoning, but the OOB the EO smells like a wet ashtray to me. :lol: :P

"....with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
http://www.tousheabodyboutique.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:12 am 

I have not tried to blend anything yet. I can't really smell all the different notes that are listed in a fragrance description. I've tried using q tips and even in the finished soap I don't really smell all the fragrance notes listed. I wonder if some people have a more developed sense of smell or we just loose some of it as we age. Are there some good blenders that you all like to use?

MaryLou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:47 am 

That Saffron & Honey is an interesting scent! I am a beekeeper and use honey and beeswax in all my soaps -- my "niche". So of course, I had to try this!

It smells like neither honey nor saffron to me, and I wasn't sure I liked it. But I keep a basket of "oops" and "uglies" around, that I discount mightily. I put that batch in the basket and moved on. They ALL sold in one hour. :o

It is now my number 2 selling scent. Go figure.

People can't identify it -- the pick one up, and sniff, and sniff, and ask me what it is. They put it down, then pick it back up. It is popular with both men and women.

Scents are SO subjective, there's just no telling. Personally, I like herby rosemary/lavender scents, that I know others loathe. I like single note florals, and "old lady" perfume-y blends. I hate sugary/fruity/candy scents that are so popular right now, but I sell a lot of them. There are a few I won't soap with -- strong perfume "types" that give me migraines. But, I'll fulfill any request for scent when I can. As a seller I try to remember one old adage re my customers' preferences: "You pays your money, you takes your choice!"

:lol: ~HoneyLady~

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am 

Fragrance is subjective...I really like single note florals...I made a lilac bar and a rose bar a few years ago that sold like crazy. And while I hate fragrances with amber, so many folks love it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:38 am 

Update. After picking this soap up for several weeks and sniffing it , I went from really not liking it to thinking it's o.k. but won't make it again. I decided to use the end piece and found that I enjoyed the scent very much in the bath. It is light and pleasant. I still don't think it smells like honey but the scent has changed during curing. It is much better than the freshly made soap.

MaryLou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:02 am 

I'm a huge Yankee Candle fan. The people at the local store recognize me, LOL. One worker whipped out a new pine scent. I took a big ol whiff - "Smells like cat pee." The look on his face was pretty funny. We have an orange creamsicle candle that smells like orange and pine to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:10 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:30 pm 

SAD! Patch is one of my favorites! You may have been able to make a trade for it as we all usually get a fragrance we decide is "not for us". Mine is the Wake up Rosemary, although I think I finally hit upon a blend that it is working well in.... won't know for sure until Halloween.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 pm 

I definitely want to try some Patchouli EO!! Desperately hoping I like it. Planning on ordering some very soon actually. The FO I mentioned smelled like cigarette smoke, not like a real patchouli I hope! I'm definitely not denouncing patchouli, it was just this particular FO that I didn't like.

The Smokey Patchouli was just a little 1/2 oz. free sample, so it wasn't that much of a loss to toss it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 am 

There are a lot of scents I like, a few I love, and even fewer I don't care for at all but the one I physically cannot abide is cinnamon. If it is a minor note I can let it the soap cure in the back room where I can close the door if it gets too strong. If it is a major component as in so many "blah-blah harvest" or "autumn this-or-that" scents, I have to put it in a closet and close that door and the door to the room as well or my eyes burn, my sinuses clog and I get major headaches. Apple Jack & Peel is right on the boundary but it very pleasant in small doses OOB and after cure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 am 

ABCH - out of curiousity, do you have the same reaction to real cinnamon? Can you tolerate ground cinnamon in foods, or cinnamon EO?