[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Trade Shows Advice

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trade Shows Advice
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:13 pm 

I have an opportunity to do a trade show. I've never been to one much less done one. It would be a great benefit for my shop. I need advice. If you have done one before do you have any tips?

It's over a weekend in September. I'm really looking forward to it, but I don't know how much product to have.

My questions:
How much product do I need?
Is it better to have a little of a lot of products? Or just a few products that show what I have but a lot of those?
Will I need wholesale forms? Catalogs? All these questions I have going in my head. I know I'm not quite ready, but I am so very very excited. I know I need more business cards. Lol.

Any tips are appreciated. Any questions that I didn't think of?

Thanks!

Ginger

Post subject: Re: Trade Shows Advice
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 pm 

Will you be able to sell or can you take preorders? If you can sell, here are some questions I would ask:

1. How long has this venue been in business?
2. How is the show advertised?
3. How many people do they expect to attend?
4. Will there be any other businesses that are similar to yours?
5. How big is the table?

Is this a one day show?
If you can sell, bring as much as you can and store in totes under the table.
If you can't sell, bring representations or a few products to show potential customers.

You will need brochures or catalogs, business cards, wholesale forms, business cards and a box of pens.
Can you do a raffle of a gift basket, so you can collect potential customers contacts or their business cards?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 pm 

I will be able to sell there. It is the "Ultimate Women's Expo." They have several shows across the country. (https://www.facebook.com/UltimateWomensExpo)

The rep I spoke to on the phone stated that they had been doing this for 20 years and they had 23000 people go to their Houston, Texas show last weekend even with all the rain and hail. They advertise billboards, tv, and radio they said a couple weeks to a month before the show. It will be held in a rather reputable site in San Antonio, Texas. (This is the closest show that I can get to in time and still have time to make product for the show). I don't know yet, if there will be other vendors selling bath and body like I do, but I would think so to a point. The site boasts over 600 vendors at shows. It is inevitable that someone else will have something like me. The table I think is a standard 8 ft table, but the spot is 10x10". So I am really thinking hard about doing this, but I am truly scared as well. It would be the first time I have done anything like this.

Would it be better to take (for example) like 12 types of soap, but alot of them or just make a lot of soaps-- but a moderate amount? I make bath salts, face masks, soaps, lip balms, and perfume oils. I know I will have to transport it all. I just don't know what would be a good number to start with. And since it is in September--I have time to start making product so that I can sell it.

AHHH> :shock:
Thanks! Soapbuddy for giving me a good idea to start...I am calling them in the morning to get a few more questions answered.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:18 am 

Sounds like a huge show. I have been on the fence about doing one something like that in my local area around Christmas time but have always been afraid I wouldn't have enough stock. My opinion only, take it for what it's worth, I would have around 12 soaps but a lot of them. Do the ones that have proven to be crowd favorites. Then because it's a womens expo, maybe have some gift sets as well, like soaps with a loofah or if you do lotions and bath scrubs make a body pampering set. Let us know what you decide!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 pm 

ok. 1. I'm not putting down the ultimate women's expo. I investigated and read some reviews of the show and I feel based upon the mixed good and bad and mediocre reviews that it would be better for me and my business to not do this at this time.

Which is a let down to me, because I was honestly really looking forward to doing this. I was getting soaps, face masks, bath soaks, and lip balms lined out. I had people offering to help me. That's how much this was awesome at this point, but I feel that the money that was needed up front could be better used elsewhere. I could have had all the needed products made and ready.

So thanks for the support good clean fun and soap Buddy!!!!

But I think I'm going to pass and go to another one in November.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:27 pm 

Sounds like a wise choice. I'm sure you will have other places to go with more reasonable rates.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:35 pm 

I have another opportunity to do a Christmas craft show in November. I'm pretty sure I do this one. The fee is $400 for two days and this show has been at this coliseum for 37 consecutive years. I've been told that that they have approximately 25000 people during the two days. I know someone who has been to this show twice and loves it! So much she's back for her 3rd year.

My question is as a purveyor of soap, perfume oils, lip balms, and face masks. How much of each should I take? I mean I was thinking 15-17 soap types and 20 bars each. 20-23 perfume scents 20 bottles each. Lip balms, I was thinking 17 flavored and maybe 20 each. Does this sound reasonable? Or should I have more of each scent/flavor? Or maybe fewer in type/scent/flavors and just have more of each kind. For example, have 13 soaps, but 25-30 of each one. And so on for lip balms and perfume oils.

Any advice is welcomed!

Thank you!

Ginger

For soaps I was thinking: leather, Turkish mocha, tobacco, apple cider, two different pumpkin types, black sage, marshmallow, sug northwoods, orange clove, coffee/chocolate, almond biscotti, woodsmoke, pomegranate currant and red hibiscus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:06 pm 

How many other soapmakers will be there? What type of advertising do they do? How many vendors will be there? How big is your table?
I would bring as much as you can and keep any extras in a crate underneath the table.
Will there be any overnight security?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:35 am 

This is their response:

"Yes there is overnight security on Friday and Saturday.
We do extensive advertising.
We advertise in the San Antonio Express News and the surrounding papers. We have 5 live remotes with hundreds of radio ads. We have over 30 billboards in the city. We mail out 40,000 invitations to people on our mailing list. We do digital advertisement and we do social media.
We have this end covered, and we appreciate it when our vendors invite their customers to the show and let them know what is going on also.
Thanks,
Ellen"

So I think it might be a good idea to do the show. It's still better than the first show I was going to do in September. I know no one can know exactly what a good number of items to being is, but I was thinking 18-20 bars of soap per scent would be good for a two day show.

The booth area is 10x10, you bring your own tables, but you can rent them and chairs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:46 pm 

Sounds good to me. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:02 pm 

Thanks for the great advice soap buddy! I feel a little bi better about actually getting ready about going.