[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - I want to make soap

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I want to make soap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:05 pm 

I want to make soap but I have enough soap to last me until next year. I have given soap to all of my family and all of my friends. Everyone wants their soap to last a long time but I want to use mine up so I can make more. I'm thinking of making smaller bars so I can get to a new one sooner. Love to use a different scent each time but I limit myself to 3 bars in use at once. Is anyone else in the same boat? I think people are getting tired of me asking if they need any more soap yet. The usual answer is "no, I'm still using the last batch you gave me". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mary Lou

Post subject: Re: I want to make soap
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 pm 

Same! I have 3 bars in the shower (1 is almost gone tho :( ), like 5 half end peices in my bathroom, and probably 5 other bars around the house but that doesn't stop me from making more :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 pm 

I have a couple small molds and silicone ice trays I pour a little of every batch into, so I have a bunch of three-or-four-use-size "bars" and I can cycle through those pretty rapidly. I'm way less likely to have a ton of bars in the shower if I give myself a little taste of every single batch as it cures, and it's a good way to figure out which scents I do want to use the full size of.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:04 am 

LOL I gave up and have a couple dozen bars in the shower at any given time. I use 3-6 different bars when I shower and claim it's research! :lol:

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:32 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:54 pm 

You all are great. Thanks for letting me know I am not just weird. I would never admit to my friends how many times I soap up just so I can try another soap. Summer is good because working in the yard or garden means an extra shower without my husband wondering why I'm in the shower again or soaking in the tub for so long. I'm thinking smaller batches with smaller bars will let me try more different scents and make soap more often. Since I don't sell I really don't need those big bars. :D :D

Mary Lou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:25 pm 

Yay! Its not only me that has lots of different soaps in the shower, and not only me that makes excuses to get 'back' in the shower..I LOVE trying my own soaps.. I lather and rinse and lather and rinse...Im probably the cleanest person in my house :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 am 

I had to hurry up and start my Christmas bars so they would have time to cure, only to find that my storage/curing bin is errr uhmmmm full still.... But really I have so many more colors and scents to make.....might be time to get another rack....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:47 pm 

I'm making my list and checking it twice to make sure I haven't forgotten anyone. Woohoo! Looks like I can make several batches to cover all the gifts I need. Making soap is so much fun. I thought by now I might be satisfied to make a batch now and then and think about other things but I think about soap first thing in the morning and last thing at night. YouTube feeds my soul when I really really don't need to make more soap.

MaryLou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:42 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:47 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 am 

I am actually planning on contact a local nursing home, a women's shelter and a place that helps homeless vets and ask them about numbers so I can prepare Christmas gift baskets for them.

I just got 200 lbs of lye and 50 lbs of coconut oil, so I am RARING to go!

I also prepare gift baggies for my co-workers, my sister's co-workers, teachers, etc.

OOh, maybe I'll make gift baggies for all the teachers at a local school!

Also, I am making soaps to benefit 2 charities.

One is a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel rescue group, and I did 4 batches of soap inspired by the 4 color patterns of the dogs. http://www.ckcsc.org/

Ruby - a red dog, similar in color to a Dachshund. Red soap with a copper mica swirl, scented with Oatmeal, Milk and Honey Cybilla. Will be called "Rustic Ruby"
Black and Tan - black with a copper mica swirl, scented with vanilla. Will be called Bubbly Black & Tan
Blenheim - red/brown and white. White soap with a copper mica swirl. Scented with a sweet citrusy scent called Granita Sunrise. Will be called "Blenheim Bathtime"
Tri-color - white and black with tan markings. White soap with black mica and copper mica swirls. "Tempting Tri Color."
I made 10 bars of each, and we are selling them for $4, or 3/$10. If it does well, I'll make some for each event. All proceeds to the rescue group.

Second one is a hunting event raising money for a residential facility for adults with mental disabilities. Most of the particpants are men, so I am doing some soaps with a camo-like pattern, using mostly masculine or gender-neutral scents. I will be doing one batch in a pink camo pattern with a floral scent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 am 

Wow! I guess I landed in the right place...

You gals must be the CLEANEST crazies in your towns! Jajaja. I'm the same way.

ATm, I have 7 mini-bars around my bathroom sink and 3 midi-bars in the shower... Since we're in a cabana on the beach until Christmas, we'll have plenty of opportunity to use them... Hubs is a willing test bunny. When the weather warms up a bit & we're building on our house again, he'll be grubby enough daily to give me an extra "lather test." :D

Cheers, all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 am 

Wow Dixiechick! I thought I wanted to make soap but you really really really want to make soap. I can't even imagine how much 200 lbs of lye is. My usual purchase is around 10lbs. I thought I gave away a lot of soap but you are amazing. How often do you make soap and how big are your batches?

MaryLou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:36 am 

LOL, I actually don't make that much. I'll go for a spell when I make soap 3-4 times in a week, then not make any for. Right now I'm gearing up for Christmas.

My last bag of lye took me about 10 years to use. I expect this is a lifetime supply for me.