[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Do you buy off of Etsy?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Do you buy off of Etsy?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm 

I've become uneasy from buying at big box stores and oversized chains (like probably everyone at this point. I mean seriously? How many McDonalds, Walmart's, and Starbucks do we REALLY need?). I had been relentlessly searching department stores for a decent size wallet (not those teeny tiny ones the size of a business card either! How do you fit cash inside it?!) that wasn't too big or small. Alas I was stuck with either a design I disliked or paying a crazy "fancy brand" price. $75 for a wallet?! I don't even carry that much in cash! But I gave up and looked on Etsy.

And then it happened... I stumbled upon The Monogram Line! Custom monogram wallets, coasters, etc. I got to completely customize my wallet without breaking the bank! :D I wonder if I can use Etsy to offset the amount of money I've previously given to chains? Do you guys buy off etsy too? Do you think you could buy more from them over the usual chains and big box stores?

Anyway just in case someone wants to see this wallet- https://twitter.com/pandaleegames/statu ... 9186981889

Oh and here's the shop (it's in PA so I got my wallet super fast!)- https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheMonogramLine

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:09 pm 

I do once in a while, only US, and only if I'm reasonably sure the items really are handmade (or at least not trying to be passed off as "handmade" when it's really a mass produced 3rd party resell) and made by that particular seller. With Etsy's new policies, I feel more uneasy about doing so now than I did before.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:56 am 

I no longer buy off of Etsy, unless it is from the shop of someone I know (like folks from here). Their new policies are garbage, and the few times I did make purchases I always had issues with the items not being as described. Luckily paypal saved me, where Etsy wouldn't even reply to my emails.

I stick to other, more reliable, sites. Amazon, Ebay, Bigcartel etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:47 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:28 pm 

Just a head up.
Accel Partners is one of the venture capital firms that owns Etsy. Accel Partners is also teamed up with IDG Capital, a firm based in China. IDG-Accel is dedicated to growth for Chinese companies. There have been many concerns along the lines of 16 different shops offering the same "bubble necklace" for sale. Most of those shops are based in China. Etsy does not close down these obvious-to-most reseller shops and indicates most of them have passed muster. Yet Etsy's own policy is that no resellers are allowed, in direct conflict with what is actually going on. Chinese investors promote Chinese businesses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:03 pm 

Actually Irena the Etsy policies have recently changed, so they allow a lot now. For a long time they just turned the blind eye, but now it is perfectly legal in their TOS's! Ever since the creators sold out and then were subsequently kicked off the board, it has gone down hill fast. I quit selling there a year or more ago and I rarely buy there any more either, unless it is from a shop I did business with back in the day. Such a great idea and it was a wonderful site for several years. But ever since that first non-creator ceo allowed a front page collection that also contained a picture of a mass market item, it has continued heading down that hill and fast! BUYER BEWARE!

I'd check out Artfire if I were looking now. They seem to have maintained better policies and enforcement. Like Etsy used to be!

Tammy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:24 pm 

Thanks for letting me know Tammy. Their new site is hard to navigate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 am 

I only buy from Etsy buyers that I know. We do some online shopping at Amazon since we get free shipping. We try to shop local as much as we can otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 am 

You're welcome Irena. It is hard to navigate now and it is such a shame that they totally betrayed the original vision!

Tammy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:09 pm 

We were talking about Etsy at work Yesterday. Seems everyone I know who USED to shop there has stopped since the new ToS/owners. Too bad :( Semms most folks are now shopping Artfire again, and Big Cartel.

Hopefully someone else with come out with an Etsy-esque shop in the future!