[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Listing ingredients on a label

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 am 

I guess it is wrong to list the ingredients on a label as Coconut oil, palm oil, etc, and sodium hydroxide when in reality none of these ingredients are there due to saponification?

Is better wording saponified oils of coconut, palm etc now you don't have to use the word sodium hydroxide because to those in the know the word saponification tells you this?

So SuperSoaper. This one is for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 am 

I've seen it listed both ways. Technically, since it's true soap, you don't need to list ingredients at all. Many of us do, because we are proud of the oils or butters that go into our creations. So I think it's ok either way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 am 
Both are ok to use IMHO.

But regarding correctness, I think the second would be "more correct" than the first list of ingredients.

Ditto Soapbuddy: I've seen it both ways. Personally, I don't list ingredients. But I'll tell them what's in it....sometimes even if they don't ask. Hopefully you won't laugh but I can't pronounce the word "butter" correctly. Double tt is difficult for some native Italian speakers. The "th" sound is downright impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:40 am 

I sell my products online, so I wouldn't be able to tell them in person. I think you should list the ingredients on your label SuperSoaper. Let's say someone gets one of your soaps and then gifts it to someone else and they have a reaction to it. They will need to know the ingredients in that soap. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:46 am 

especially those with nut allergies since some oils and butters are derived from nuts. i list mine a saponified and then the oils and butters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am 
Good idea Soapbuddy.....never thought someone would have a reaction to good 'ole fashioned homemade soap. Haven't decided yet, but will most likely go with the "Saponified Oils and Butters of: coconut, olive oil, etc." And I think I'll list lye as the chemical formula instead of the word since less people will know what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 am 

If the oils are listed as saponified then you do no not have to list the lye, right? I thought once the the saponification process happened lye was no longer really an ingredient.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:08 am 

There has been some heated discussion on this topic. I always list ingredients and I personally feel it is fine to list as "saponified oils of ......"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 am 

Many of the "big soapmakers" list this way. I keep reading labels from the 'other soaps'.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:20 am 

If you are going to label them, "saponified oils of..." make the use of the word "lye" unnecessary. But it really makes little difference which you choose as far as being "correct". For our soap, Correct means that you don't have to label at all, and if you are wanting to label correctly (as in correct for other products), then you'd have to use the scientific names of the oils, and not the plain English.

So it really comes down to just what you want to put on the label. You could list the oils that may cause issues (nut butters and oils) along with the luxury ones, or you could list them all. It's whatever YOU prefer. I personally would not print the word lye or S.H., on the label. I think saponified oils of... sounds better and it is correct. But that is me, so don't worry, be happy, do what you want! :D

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:30 am 

"Don't worry, be happy, do what you want." Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:33 am 

:P

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 pm 

Hi! I'm new to the forum after lurking for about a month. This question actually made me take the step to join. I'm wondering if people with allergies, say to peanuts, would still have a reaction to soap made with peanut oil. I guess I'm wondering if the peanut oil would still be the same after going through saponification. I'm probably not explaining myself clearly, but I know the oils change into salts, so would they still cause allergic reactions?

I know my daughter cannot use straight shea butter on her skin, but has no trouble with soap containing shea butter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 pm 

Depending upon the person and the severity of their allergy, they may not show s/s of irritation initially, however, anyone with an allergy may (and usually do) develop a more severe reaction with subsequent exposure, so it is not recommended that they use the product. In other words, someone who has a rash/hives when eating a nut may end up with their throat swelling shut after x number of times of being exposed to nuts and getting the rash/hives. There is no certainty on the number of exposures, so you can't guess at it. Could be 1x or 50 or never. But there is no good reason to risk it, because it could kill.

And welcome! Glad you are no longer lurking!

Tammy