[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - luxury oils question

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: luxury oils question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:29 pm 

I started making soap a few months ago with basic oils and milks. I found the forum a few weeks ago, and have definitely learned a lot from reading all the posts. I'd like to make soap for my bedridden grandmother who has papery skin. I would like to make a luxuriously conditioning bar so I was thinking a goats milk soap with Shea butter, Cocoa butter, Emu oil, and avocado on top of a trinity base. Any suggestions for different/better oils or butters? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: luxury oils question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 pm 

The only way to know for sure, is to make a small batch and try it with a higher superfat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:03 pm 

Along with hemp, evening primrose, meadowfoam and borage oils are my favs for aged skin :D

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:06 pm 

soapnuts.com gives borage as an excellent source of GLA. Translation?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:14 pm 
GLA is "Gamma Lenolenic Acid". It's an essential fatty acid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 pm 

why not make her a lotion bar to use after the soap... if you use a mild scent you could match them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 pm 
Have a great recipe for a lotion bar that I'd be happy to share with you. My grandfather works in his vineyard constantly. I've made it for him and he swears by it. I like hemp oil personally, but it also contains lanolin which keeps his hands moist. Of course he thinks I'm fruity for making this stuff but WTH.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:37 pm 

I know she uses pure lanolin sometime on her hands. So sure, send it my way. I've never made a lotion bar before, I'm assuming if I can make CP with no problems, I can do a lotion bar right?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm 
Yes, it's very easy. I like to use a silicon mold. I melt everything in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, add fragrance and pour. Easy Peasy Boss....

I'll PM it to you in about 5 minutes. Found an awesome show on a TV oldies channel called Hogan Heroes and it is hysterically funny. About a German prisoner of war camp.

Did it during commercial. How's that for multitasking. With my wife gone I can watch stupid TV shows. When she is here we have to watch "Suzie gets married" movies. I'm more of the "Arnold Kills Everyone" kind of guy.

Hope you enjoy the lotion bars. Show is back on gotta go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:00 pm 

Thanks! I like that it's in grams. I think better in grams. I think she'll love this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:05 pm 
Most certainly welcome. The people I have given it to, report back that they love the way it works.

I do everything in metric. Have been wondering when the U.S. is going to catch up to the rest of the world in precise measurements.....just hasn't happend yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:20 pm 
Supersoaper. You really do have good advice. Thank you.

I have been very curious about lotion bars because I hear alot about them. You said just melt everything in a Pyrex cup and pour it into a mold. Does it have to cure or do you just used it after it hardens? I would be very grateful if you could give me some advice on them please.

And you said you grandfather said they were WTH. What does that mean?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:42 pm 
No, they don't have to cure before you use them. After they harden then you're good to go. I'll PM the recipe to you. Welcome for the advice. This is just something I like doing and I'm bored out of my skull at the moment.

:shock: WTH means "what the hell" I'm an ex pro NFL linebacker and can tear the lungs out of an attacking grizzly. But my grandfather thinks I'm a pansy because I have a "woman's" hobby. He's very old school Italian. You've seen guys like him in movies. They sit on folding chairs in the streets drinking wine out of water glasses and place Scopa (an Italian card game) all night long for money. He just thinks it's shameful that I make and sell soap. So.....WTH.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 pm 

Could you please send the recipe my way as well. My recipe still has a bit too much "drag" for my liking.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm