[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Help with clean-up needed

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:03 pm 

Ok...I just tried to post on my first soaping experience, and then accidentally deleted it! I'll post again soon, since I had some unexpected issues that I'm curious about. But in the meantime I need some help!
All the research I did on how to make soap and most importantly, how to do it safely....yet somehow I never even thought about how I was going to clean my equipment!!! What a moron...
So after I put my first batch to bed, I go back into the kitchen and realize I have no clue of how to safely clean my stuff before I let the dogs and cats back into the area. Can I just use dish soap...or do I need to use vinegar...do I need to put my gloves back on...my plastic pitcher for my lye solution is so deep, what if I get some solution under my gloves while I'm washing it... how do I clean the stick blender...All these thoughts are racing through my mind! Then I look over at the dish rack (we hate dishwashers), and I think, OMG...what if some lye or raw soap got on the dishes? Total and complete paranoia set in!!!
So I put all my unwashed soaping stuff in a big box, and carried it out to the hubby's workshop to be dealt with later, and re-washed all the dishes in the rack. THEN the hubby reminds me that the spare room that I put my newly-made soap in is occupied by a feral kitten we've been bottle-feeding, AND his workshop is currently the temporary home of one of the feral cats we just had spayed.
My newly-made soap in it's mold is currently in the workshop along with all my unwashed soaping stuff in a huge covered box. HELP!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:39 am 

You can either wait til the next day as it will be soap by then, or take your soap pot, fill it with water and cheap liquid soap or detergent and let it soak. Then wash it. Do NOT put soap covered utensils in the dish washer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:32 pm 

Here's an idea for the next batch... why not go for the non-gelled technique? That way you could put the finished soap in the mold/s in the fridge away from any cat!

As for clean up.... you do need to wear those gloves to clean up. Some will wait 1-2 days for the 'left overs' to become soap, then just use hot soapy water to wash all the items in. If you want to clean some up the same day (I have to do this) then I do add a splash or two of vinegar to my wash water and clean away using a rag and rinsing well. Hope this helps and let us see a photo of what you made!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 am 

I keep a dishpan or sink full of hot water with dish detergent & vinegar in it & put my utensils in as soon as I am done with them. I also keep the bottle of vinegar handy in case of any accidents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 pm 

I have to clean up immediately after I soap. I leave my gloves on and rinse with hot water and dish soap. For my big pot, I start at the top and work my down. When I did it from the bottom up, I ended up with a tiny bit of raw soap on my exposed arm. Small burn, nothing serious. So, I make sure there is nothing around the rim and work my way around. Then rinse really good, several times actually. My stick blender comes apart so that I can wash the stick part without the motor part attached. I then move on to cleaning the countertops and floor so that I make sure that no lye escaped my work area and one of my babies can lick any up. It's not too hard and normally doesn't take me too long.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:46 pm 

Thanks everybody!! You guys are great!!
I'm going to the dollar store and get a big plastic tub to put in the sink to wash my stuff inthis weekend.
Thanks, Haven for the advice on cleaning top to bottom...that's what I will do wtih my lye pitcher.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 pm 

When you clean you lye pitcher, I would just rinse it out very well with plain water. If there is any residue left, you will end up with speckles of stuff in your lye water next time you use it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:40 am 

Would you guys use the stick blender for making soap only or is it okay to use it for food also? My common sense tells me I have to get another for making soap but they are very expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:04 am 

Once I use the stick blender for soap I will not use it for any food prep! Watch for some sales... can usually get one for 8-10 dollars. The one I am using now I paid 3.00 at the local thrift store for! I also keep one in backup, just incase.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:19 am 

You beat me to the reply Bubbles2 :lol: I also recommend two, I spent an hour using a whisk one time when the stick blender broke..not fun on the arms at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:32 am 

You're welcome and I was going to say the same thing Soap Buddy did about your lye pitcher. I just rinse it really well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:07 pm 

Alright, thanks for that. Only I don't live in the US and everything is expensive here. But maybe I could have a look in my local thrift shop...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:22 am 

So where is home? Glad to hear they have thrift stores in other areas of the world! I love hunting for treasures :lol: