[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - lye smell

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: lye smell
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am 

A similar thing happened to me with a fragrance oil. It was "Tarte Au Citron" (not purchased from BB). The fragrance oil smells wonderful in cream soap, body butter, and M&P soap. So, I tried a C/P batch with it (the write up on the website where I purchased it said it was fine for C/P soaping). But, the fragrance morphed and is icky in C/P. The vanilla scent came through but the "citrus" smells like an obnoxious green ivy. It isn't getting much better as it cures...

It is otherwise a really nice soap (great later, nice firm bar), but I'm not sure I want to offer it to customers.

Post subject: Re: lye smell
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:21 am 

That's how I feel about mine. It lathers well, cleans well and moisturizes well (thank you castor+shea!) But that feint ammonia smell just ruins it. Because I used shavings from the previous batch that was too scent heavy, I wanted to call the soap Zingy Fresh. I believe that the 2nd time around totally morphed the scent that was on the shavings. I suppose I can always try rebatching.

In the meantime. I might just keep it in my bathroom for deco! :)