[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - A few liquid soap-making questions

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:45 pm 

Hi :) I have a few questions:

1. Can I make liquid soap with NaOH? I have a really great new idea for a soap, but I need it to be liquid soap.

2. If I add things like charcoal powder or oatmeal, is it more beneficial to add it before or after reaching the trace I need? Or, after I set it in my crockpot to turn to mashed-potato goo?

3. Does it need to reach the crockpot stage of mashed potato goo?

4. How do I know how much of something I need to add to my recipe? I don't want to add to much charcoal and end up staining skin.

5. If I did make liquid soap with NaOH, what water proportion would be good with the lye? I've heard multiply the lye number by 3 and that's how much water you should use.

6. Instead of borax to lower pH, can I use citric acid? How much would I need?

7. Does anyone know good, natural remedies for rosacea? So far I plan on adding oatmeal, charcoal powder, green tea, lavender EO, and honey. This is for my mom, who is extremely picky about soap. Her face has been having some trouble lately, and it's making her feel bad, so I want to make her some facial soap to help control it :)

8. Any recommended soft, non-drying oils? And can I add lots of cocoa butter (aka MY FAVORITE OIL)?

Also, mashed-potato goo refers to (what I believe is) the gelling phase of crockpot soap.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:11 pm 

I'm not sure why nobody answered you, but uh no you cant use NaOH for lquid soap. You have to use KOH. As far as liquid proportions go, have you noticed the lye calculator? It gives you all that info.
Not sure about the cocoa butter. I like to use 100% coconut oil w/ 0% superfat.

You dont need borax or citric acid. 0% superfat is fine, or use up to 3% superfat if u r worried about it.

Also, its a lot easier to use glycerin instead of water as it cuts your cook time down from ten hours or so to about twenty or thirty minutes. No stirring either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:03 pm 

1. Can I make liquid soap with NaOH? I have a really great new idea for a soap, but I need it to be liquid soap.
You need potassium hydroxide to make liquid soap.

2. If I add things like charcoal powder or oatmeal, is it more beneficial to add it before or after reaching the trace I need? Or, after I set it in my crockpot to turn to mashed-potato goo?
It's much easier to add charcoal or oatmeal before trace so it mixes in completely.

3. Does it need to reach the crockpot stage of mashed potato goo?
Liquid soap needs a couple of hours to cook. So I would say yes.

4. How do I know how much of something I need to add to my recipe? I don't want to add to much charcoal and end up staining skin.
You can add 1/2 teaspoon of charcoal per lb. of soap.

5. If I did make liquid soap with NaOH, what water proportion would be good with the lye? I've heard multiply the lye number by 3 and that's how much water you should use.
Use a liquid soap calculator and it will tell you how much water to use. It will need to be diluted after the cook.

6. Instead of borax to lower pH, can I use citric acid? How much would I need?
I do not use either. I superfat my liquid soap at 3%.

7. Does anyone know good, natural remedies for rosacea? So far I plan on adding oatmeal, charcoal powder, green tea, lavender EO, and honey. This is for my mom, who is extremely picky about soap. Her face has been having some trouble lately, and it's making her feel bad, so I want to make her some facial soap to help control it :)
Rosacea benefits from very simple ingredients. I would make a pure Castile liquid soap with no other additives. Be aware that if you add any herbal extracts or honey, your liquid soap will need a preservative.

8. Any recommended soft, non-drying oils? And can I add lots of cocoa butter (aka MY FAVORITE OIL)?
Try 95% olive oil, 5% castor with a 3% superfat for a mild liquid soap.