[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Soap for dreadlocks

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Soap for dreadlocks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:24 pm 

Hello soapmakers

I am fairly new to soaping, but I am eager and I feel I am getting a bit addicted :D

I have a wee question, don't know if anyone knows an answer, but I'll go for it anyway.

My good lady is going to put dreadlocks in her hair and she has been looking in to caring for them, she found out that you need, and can buy soap just for dreads.
I had a look and have come across some info stating that you need soap with "no residues". I take that to mean that all the oils must be paired up with the lye (if that's the correct term), there has to be no superfat or any other extra stuff for that matter, just to ensure there are no residues left on the scalp to damage/negatively effect it, or left in the hair where it could rot and smell.

I have seen some dread soap's ingredients list (no oil or lye amounts of course) and they look no different to any other recipe.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Post subject: Re: Soap for dreadlocks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:18 pm 

I am not experienced with dreadlocks, but if you make soap with no superfat, the soap will be very harsh to the skin.
One of the reasons why you have to superfat is that any SAP is only a range.
It varies slightly from season to season, harvest to harvest and year to year.
This means that the actual superfat will vary slightly.
So, if you make a soap with no superfat, it will be just that; no superfat.
You open another bottle of oil and make that same soap. The SAP value of this oil is slightly lower then normal.
This particular soap will end up being lye heavy and can burn the skin.

I would suggest a syndet bar. Swiftcraftymonkey blog has some recipes on her site.
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/20 ... orial.html

Post subject: Re: Soap for dreadlocks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:49 am 

Thank you for replying. I will look into it