[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Using Milk as liquid in place of water

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:06 pm 

Hi, I plan to make my first batch of soap using milk in place of water. I plan to freeze the milk tonight in ice cube trays and add lye (slowly) to the milk ice cubes tomorrow

Two questions : if a recipe uses 20 ounces of water do I also use 20 oz of milk ? (weighed ounce ). I thought I read somewhere that when using milk in a recipe that the milk should be measured (mixing cup) rather than weighed.

If I add the lye slowly to the frozen milk cubes the temp will be around 75 F when all the lye is dissolved. Does the oil also have to be around 75 F ? I think I can easily do this if I only melt the solid oils (coconut, palm) and add to the room temp liquid oils (Olive oil etc )

Thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 am 

Everything needs to go by weight. If you have never made soap before, I would start with water. Milk is for more advanced soapers. Milk can scorch and due to the natural sugars in the milk, the soap can overheat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:33 pm 

Yes, thanks. I should clarify. I've made many, many batches of cold process soap but always with water. This is my first batch with milk. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the information !!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:17 pm 

Here is one way you can do it. Dissolve the lye in minimum water required according to the soap calc. Then add the rest as room temp liquid milk when you combine the oils and the lye water.